1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I do this...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Wallflower, May 19, 2015.

1. The Wallflower

I came out months ago to my mom, sister, and quite a few of my friends.

I've told practically everyone I care about... except my cousin.

I grew up with him, and I've known him since I was 6. You know those cousins you were really close with but not anymore? That didn't happen with him.

We've become very close and I consider him my best friend.

Here's the deal:
    I wanted to come out to him various times, but whenever the topic of homosexuality comes up, he activates homophobic mode and starts hating on them.

He says things like: ''Oh, well he's ok, he just can't be gay around me.'' and stuff like that. This of course hurts me and has given me a brand new image of who he is, but...

Now I have no idea what to do. I WAMT to tell him, because I know that eventually news of this will get to him, and I don't want anyone to tell him this but me... I don't know if I can do this. Help. Please. :frowning2:

2. Erzulie

Have you ever defended gay people (really yourself) when he says those things? If you try that and maybe see what he says before telling him. If he sees that you are ok with people being gay and that you support it, he might change his mind, and hopefully after that you can tell him. Hope this was helpful!

3. The Wallflower

It was, thanks. You're right. :slight_smile:

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can always ask him "What's wrong with being gay? We hang out together all the time and I am gay. Gay people are just like everyone else except for who they fall in love with. There is nothing wrong with being gay, or straight, or in-between, any more than there is with being short or tall, or red-headed. It's just who we are, so falling in love with a guy is as natural for us as you falling in love with a girl."