1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas decorations

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Paul_UK, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I got the Christmas decorations our from the garage today, so sort out which to take into work for our office and which to use here at home.

And I figured I might as well take them all into work.

There's no point in putting them up here because nobody will see them other than me. I don't need any more reminders that I'm going to be on my own for Christmas (apart from the actual day which I am spending with my family).

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Paul, why not put some up at home and then invite some people over for a holiday get-together? Make your Christmas the way you want it! My husband is being the usual "Christmas hater" that he is. I just decided I'm not going to let him spoil my holiday so I've accepted invitations to go out to holiday parties. I'm going to have fun with or without him and you should do the same! (*hug*)

3. -Michael-

I agrees with Beckster.

Have a Christmas shin-dig.

Baff the karaoke machine out. :slight_smile:

you know how nobody can resist your karaoke skills.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I can count on the fingers of one hand the people I could invite round over Christmas, and most of them will probably be too busy.

Hopefully our local gay pub will be doing some Christmas stuff which I can go along to.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    A hand full of people is good Paul! Ask them to bring a friend. Its okay if you don't know everybody all that well. That's how you make new friends.

6. tm74

tm74 Guest

Paul

I know exactly the feeling. The last few years I've taken all my stuff into work - in fact, I think a lot of it is still there from last year.

I'll put a few bits up in the windows so at least the neighbourhood's kids benefit but won't do anything inside really. As you say, not wanting the reminder... and no-one to really share it with.

Tom

7. Amy

Amy

Seconded.

Because we all want more videos of your karaoke. :grin:

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't care if your handful is "one". That's one person who would otherwise be alone, and now has somebody to do something with. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. Jim1454

I'm sort of in the same boat Paul. But in my case, the fact is I spend time at my bf's place and very little time at mine. It seems hardly worth the effort.

However, I think my kids would be disappointed if I didn't have a tree at my place - so I'll put one up and then have to make special trips to my house to water it every day!

I agree that the handful of people that you could invite would appreciate an invitation.

10. BeautifulStranger

You get to see your family.
    I don't...

But cheer up! Christmas is a happy time!
    I know how you feel. Every person I'd like to spend this special time with is a bajillion miles away right now. I feel like crying almost everyday, but it won't change anything.

Just take a breathe and count the things you do have.

11. Lex, your posts make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But that's great advice, listen to him Paul! :slight_smile:

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well I have compromised. I haven't but the big artificial tree up because I don't really have room and I can't be bothered with it. So I have bought a small silver fibre-optic tree (which I do think is quite pretty) which is now on a shelf unit in the lounge with a couple of fibre optic winter scene things which haven't been out for a couple of years. I have also bought one of those nets of blue LED lights which is filling the front window. There's some cards I've received on top of the TV too, so it is looking christmasy enough.

Unfortunately the one guy (who I will just call "C" for now) that I would really have liked to invite around to see it, I'm not going to see again until January. :frowning2:

13. EM68

That's a good start Paul. I live alone and don't really have anyone over, but I still put a tree up. It is an artificial one because of my allergies. I like it because its cheery and reminds me of the season. As far as C, I hope things work out for you in the end. Good Luck!

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Good for you Paul! I had to do some compromising on my decorations as well. I usually put up two trees. Well since Adam is bringing home Michael and the girls are coming home too, my little house is going to be cramped. So I am just doing one tree this year.