1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost came out to my childhood, and still best friend.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Erzulie, May 23, 2015.

1. Erzulie

But I just couldn't do it! :frowning2: God, I'm trying but it's so hard.

We had a get-together/party at my house today, and she came along with a bunch of my dad's friends and their kids who my brother and I grew up with. We went upstairs after most everyone left, and she was talking about this boy that she might want to date and was having some issues with. I told her that I didn't want to get married, or have my own kids (be pregnant) which I don't. I told her that I'd want to foster and adopt instead, but I just couldn't bring myself to tell her. Partially because people were still there, and because I want her to be able to get away if she needs to. I also want to be able to get away if I need to, but part of me is like there will always be some excuse. I think I just need to "rip of the bandage" so to speak. I might be seeing her again tomorrow. Someone, just tell me some good ways to bring it up next time I see her!!

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's okay if you weren't able to come out to your friend. (*hug*)

It sounds like that it wasn't the best venue to come out to her. It might be easier if you try coming out to her in a place where the both of you are alone, and you know that you have your attention. Meeting up, or going to a place where you feel more comfortable or more at ease, could help.

What could also help is to go into it as if she already knows. If your friend mentions the guy that she would like to date, try jumping in, and maybe share who you would like to get to know better. You could even just say: 'would like to have a girlfriend to share my life with one day.'

If you want to, give it another try tomorrow, and see how it goes.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it really was the wrong time. You did well by waiting. Give yourself time. Don't do it just because you feel pressured.