1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice from me to you!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Falcon, May 24, 2015.

1. The Falcon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I came out couple of months ago, and since then I had lot of different experiences and feelings, and from them I learnt a few things, so here are some advice and some observations. I am not going to re-tell my story, but I need your feedback:

1. The whole thing of accepting who you are is bullshit! It doesn't matter if we are born that way or we've became like that, the thing that matters is the following: you are having this feelings right now and they are intense and they continue to grow and develop. Like your hair, voice, eyes... The problem is that society has institutionalized homosexuality, building a stigma around it. So you are led to believe that you have to accept who you are... But it's like after 20 years of having brown eyes you are made to accept that you have brown eyes. It is ridiculous! The moment you come out you have a rush of new feelings that go away after a few days... And then you realize that the whole process of coming out is a social construct - it doesn't really exist. We've made up certain thoughts in our minds and our mind just responds to them.

2. That being said before you come out you feel strange and different, but after you come out you realize that everybody is closeted. What do I mean by this? Everybody are silent about their sex lives. EVERYBODY! I know this respectable girl, who trains to be a surgeon, very smart and kind, but she has a secret: she adores being double penetrated. She also wants her boyfriend watching while she is fucked by another dude. Then I know this guy who likes to have anal sex with girls and refuses to kiss them... I know a girl that used to cut herself during sexual intercourse, because blood aroused her. I know a guy that fancies little girls (like 8 years old)... People have diverse sexual fantasies and diverse conducts, while some of us spend their lives thinking and reflecting. I am not saying that you should go out and fulfill all of your sexual fantasies, all I am saying is that you shouldn't be guilty for other people not knowing about you, when in fact all of us are in a way closeted.

3. We are also closeted in terms of love. People marry because of money or lust... They cheat on each other, lie, etc... People live superficial and fake lives, it is up to you if you want to live just like them. And let's not start talking about lesbians married to a man, or a gay man to a woman...

4. You think that once you come out you suddenly have to partake in all sorts of social and political events. But you don't have to, you are not obliged to... Your personal development doesn't correspond with the social development. All the LGBT campaigns, the stories, the media, it is another world, you don't have to participate in it, if you don't want to...

5. Finally our need of acceptance? We unconsciously make ourselves vulnerable when we seek the acceptance of someone. For example an 18-year old gay man, healthy, smart, attractive goes to his 18-year old best male friend and tells him: dude I am gay, and he expects a response!? Whatever the response this is a young man, a boy, just your age, what makes you think that his rejection or disgust mean anything. Furthermore, his acceptance doesn't mean anything either. The others don't have the answers, nor they search them, because they are preoccupied with their own problems. You go to your parents and you tell them, and whatever their reaction they aren't particularly more knowledgeable than you. They might hug you or throw you out... Whatever they do, they are human beings just like you, and perplexed at the mysteries of life just like you.

6. The only thing I feel guilty about is the following: I can speak like this, and walk proudly outside if I want, only because I am a child born at the end of the twentieth century. I am a social product, wanting it or not. We all are... :frowning2:

These statements might stem from some kind of frustration in my mind. But they serve partially as a form of venting, but also advice concerning the coming out process. Feel free to tell me what you think

2. Lyana

Hi The Falcon!

I'm not sure I fully understand your points. You sound frustrated, maybe a little cynical. Your first point (1) completely went over my head -- institutionalized homosexuality? Coming out a social construct? The words just don't make sense ordered that way in my head. So I'm sorry if what I'm going to say sounds like it comes from completely out of left field.

In regards to point number 2: Of course people generally keep much of their sex lives and sexual fantasies private, but orientation is so much more than just sex. Being a closeted lesbian is not the same thing as hiding the fact that you love anal, because it involves lying (or not talking) about relationships, attractions, and sometimes even political opinions.

And concerning point number 5, it's natural to feel vulnerable when coming out. It's normal to want to be accepted by your best friend. Their rejection does mean something: it hurts. And while, in the grand scheme of things, I'd much rather be out and know who my friends are, than lie to keep my friends, that doesn't mean it didn't "mean" anything.

Maybe we do make too much of a big deal out of "coming out." Maybe we inflate its importance, and the stress of it all. But I have a hard time admitting it doesn't have "meaning."