1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrated, and needing Advice [School related]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Dec 1, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

So, I am currently in a school called recording arts canada. basically its the technical side of the music industry in terms of jobs, like a recording engineer, producer, etc.

I'm doing TERRIBLY. I'm failing 3 out of 4 classes, and i have a sinking feeling I'll be kicked out. :frowning2:

But i do want to be in music, its my passion, and i cant imagine not being in the industry somehow. So i was thinking of going into a 3 year techincal program which is all performance centered which im better at, but I would have to take a few months of lessons to get back to a semi-decent playing level.

is that an okay idea? In terms of employment I wanna try and be an in-studio musician, meaning if someone wants my instrument on their album, i play for them and get paid for it.

is that a good idea, or a bad idea?

2. Mickey

I think you should do what you feel comfortable doing. If you're better at something,then I'd say to go for it. When you love what you're doing,it makes things so much easier.
    Good luck at whatever you decide. You'll be fine.

3. acorn7

The thing is, why are you failing those classes? Because it's too hard? Because you're not motivated? Because you don't like them?

Doing the 3-year tech program (yay for a weird system in Quebec :wink: ) seems like a fine idea, maybe lessons now and start in September 09? Best advice is always to do what you LIKE to do, or else you're not motivated and therefore you don't do as well.

4. Nixon

no too be to cynical but alot of those people don't end up do ing to well
    and say
    Do you want fries with that

5. Agerardii

Have you considered teaching? Most of my friends are musicians and almost all of them are in school for music ed. with the idea that they can perform in their free time to make money on the side and still have a 9 to 5 with benefits, retirement, etc.
    Just a thought. Good luck in whatever you decide!