1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my grandmother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Michael, May 25, 2015.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... And it went perfect, just perfect...

Me : Got to tell you something... If I can...
    Her : Allright, what is it?
    Me : ... I'm a boy.
    Her : WHAT?
    Me : ... Nevermind...
    Her : Sorry, but I didn't hear you, dearie, you know I can't hear too well, and you are always whispering.
    Me : That's why we are so good friends...
    Her : LOL ... Tell me, what is it?
    Me : I'm not in troubles... I mean... It's nothing bad or anything...

(15 minutes later...)

Me : You know as I was born, the doctor said I was a...
    Her : Yes?
    Me : Well, I don't feel like a ... , I never felt like a ... , I am a man... I've always felt like a man...
    Her : ... That's all?! You like girls?!
    Me : ... NOOOOO
    (forgive me, I wasn't ready for this... Of course I do like girls, way too much, but that wasn't why I was coming out, I didn't wanted my orientation to confuse the matter...)
    Me : Look, it has nothing to do with my preferences, I mean... It's all about... What I see on the mirror, my voice, my... Everything. I'm 32, I've been thinking about this for a long time...
    Her : That's a psychiatric disease or something, isn't it?
    Me : I went to my GP and he told me there is a therapy for it... There will be changes, physical changes if you know what I mean... I hope you won't... Stop talking to me or anything like that, you know... I just wanted you to know, to me it's a question of love and trust, that is why I'm telling you...
    Her : Of course I won't stop talking to you... Well, then please go and make that therapy.
    Me : You won't change, I mean... You would still be there after the changes?
    Her : Why should I leave you for that?
    Me : My voice will sound way deeper... I will change a lot.
    Her : Well, that's the idea, isn't it... But why should I stop talking to you for that?

I felt like crying... I wasn't expecting such an accepting answer. She even told me again and again "follow that therapy" and "don't just leave it to chance, don't leave it for tomorrow, do it now!".

... I wish she was my age, I really do... When she dies I have no idea what I'm going to do... My father is in deep denial, and the rest of the family isn't worth trying. I'm kind of giving up explaining anymore, I'll just carry on with my life, and if they don't want to understand it... Well, I'll lose them.

The old lady really gave me a surprise... I really felt like crying afterwards, I couldn't believe it.
    Somebody who actually loves me for myself, for what's beyond this mask... Unbelievable.

2. bi2me

:eusa_whis

Pay no attention to the moistness you see in my eyes... It's just allergies... Yeah, that's it... Allergies!

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Congratulations, I'm glad it went so well :eusa_danc

4. ToneDef

ToneDef Guest

That's wonderful. I'm happy for you. :slight_smile: