1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know how to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TaniwhaLex, May 26, 2015.

1. TaniwhaLex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure how the parents would react. My friends know, I'm not shy about it around them, but I've found a good support group with a bunch of neat people. Thing is, to go to it I have to explain why. I also can't openly date who I want to when I'm sitting in one very cramped little closet. So I want to come out, at least to my parents. Can someone help me with this? How do I go about it?
    -Fi

2. AW19273

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can sit your parents down and tell them one on one (or two on one) or perhaps write it in a letter or an email. No matter how you do it though your going to be super nervous. I mean its a big thing your letting your parents know about yourself and thats complete normal, but once you do it you feel like a huge weight is lifted off your shoulders. Honestly you'll be glad you did it in the end.

So Good Luck and Happy Coming Out

3. banana1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    if you do it in person don't say
    I always get too nervous and can't speak...
    describe who you want to be with(who you want to marry, maybe?) in the future is easier :wink:

4. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Fia,

There is no need to rush into this. As you haven't stated your age. If you are under eighteen or in your twenties. As I said, suss out how your parents think first, If you feel you need to have a little more time for telling your parents, there is nothing wrong with that. Because I'm sure your parents want you to be happy, successful and established in whatever you decide to do. When it comes to parents, be sure that you have information to reassure them, you have the first step in having a group of friends. Again, if you feel your not ready, I'm sure your friends will respect that. If you want to speak to them about it, be sure your ground and what you are going to say, you shouldn't feel forced to come out because it's your business and no one else's, but if you feel ready to say it to them suss them out, be sure of your ground and if you want to have more time, the choice is yours.

5. bajel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Try and kind of see how they'd react beforehand. Don't do anything that's going to put your safety at risk. If one of them seems completely good to go, come out to that one and get them to help you with the other.

I personally said "i'm not straight" and then clarified. Don't do it while they're driving. I did and my mom was more pissed off about that than anything else. An email or a letter is also an option.

good luck!