1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as a trans girl.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Benjimons, May 27, 2015.

1. Benjimons

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I need help coming out to my family and friends. Its really hard to express how i truly feel on the inside and have wanted to be who i was meant to be for a long time. Background info: i go to an all boys school. My parents are somewhat anti-LGBT people and make sexist jokes towards those who are. I feel scared and frightened about what to say and where to go if they don't accept me for who i am.

2. Im Hazel

Well, are you sure that you are ready to tell them? If you struggle to put it into words, maybe it is best to wait for a bit. Maybe writing them a letter / email could be good?

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Depending on how badly you think your parents might react, it might be good to wait a while first. If you do decide to come out, make sure you have some kind of safety net in place in case things get bad. Your own safety should always come first. If you don't think that'll be a problem, you could try writing them a letter, so you can work out what you want to say beforehand.

4. Benjimons

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks :slight_smile: I appreciate what you have said and will take on your advice. This has helped significantly

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Also, hot tip: Write down somewhere what you would like to change in your life. For example: would you like to grow your hair out? Wear makeup? Wear female clothes? Go into women's lockerrooms? Maybe even switch schools since girls shouldn't have to be in a boys' school.
    Obviously you want your parents and others to accept you (I hope they will! <3) but I would also recommend writing down or taking a mental note of what practical changes you would like to see, short-term, medium-term and long-term.

Hope thar helps! Any more questions and we're here to answer them!

6. confuseddreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Benjimons... Welcome to EC.
    Firstly, can I say I am so proud to meet people such as yourself. You are in a really difficult situation, with people around you who are unaccepting and non-understanding.
    I tend to agree with Im Hazel and Acm. If you struggle to put it into words, maybe it is best to wait for a bit. You only need to tell them when you feel the time is right, even if this is sometime in the future. Your own safety and wellbeing should always come absolutely first.
    what everyone has said to you is very wise. Please do feel free to message me anytime if you want a friendly voice and re-assurance, although, you'll get that from everyone here.
    I would like to send you a friend request if that is OK? (!)