1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm extremely confused...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by phixx128, Dec 1, 2008.

1. phixx128

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, I'm brand new to the site. (A wonderful website by the way)

My whole life I've been interested in girls. I've had girlfriends, lost my virginity at 17. I've always been curious about being gay. I was raised by my mother and grandmother. As a result, I've always been a little feminine, a trait that I've tried to hide.

Every girl I've been with I've been emotionally and sexually interested in, but the curiosity never leaves. I just broke up with my current girlfriend for the last time and I'm ready to settle my mind.

This is what I'm debating: for a while now I've wanted to move to a bigger city for a while. (I've lived in Lexington, KY my ENTIRE life.) I want something new. I think it would be a lot easier to experience with guys, and possibly "come out" if I started fresh and wasn't around my family. My whole family on both sides is very conservative and Christian.

So does this sound like a good idea? Would it make things easier or more difficult? Thanks in advance.

2. Gumtree

Sounds like an excellent idea!

If you think that you would be more comfortable being who you really are (or just in finding out who that is) somewhere else, then leaving is neccessary.

Don't worry about labels for a while yeah?

Exerperiment, try a gay relationship, meet some new people and if you decide its not for you then there's no closet it come out from!

Good luck!

3. starfish

I recently moved to a new city and it is the best thing I have ever done. Gives you a chance to start fresh and figure out who you really are.

The upside is that I also like where I live much better than where I lived before. The area I moved to is nearly 1/6 the size. It is still big enough to have all of the big city stuff but it is not near as crowed.

If I stayed where I was I don't think there was anyway I would have come out to my self if I stayed where I was. In fact that was one of the reasons that I decided to move. I remember at one point thinking to my self, after I move I can finally except this and have a relationship with a man.

#3 starfish, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  4. phixx128

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks guys! That's the type of support I was hoping for!

Now I need to 1) save enough money to move, and 2) decide which city to move to.

I would prefer a city that is very liberal, gay friendly, and not TOO unaffordable.

5. Jim1454

Tough to offer advice - in that I don't know how old you are. If you can easily support yourself, then by all means move. But I don't necessarily think that will help. Sometimes our family can be a real support system for us. You might be surprised at how they react, despite being "conservative and Christian". (Well you can always hope...)

Good luck though. It's not an easy thing to work through.

6. boredofnormal

I live in 'redneck hell' myself....very rural, very conservative. It takes at least an hour to drive (freeway) to the nearest 'gay friendly' area. (OK, I live in California, so its not like we NEVER see gay people, but the prevailing attitude is still really conservative and not very friendly except in some of the major cities) When I need a break I drive out to San Francisco (2+ hrs away) and it feels like heaven! Everywhere I look there are guys holding each other and living totally normal lives. In the mean-time, back in hell, I just live my life, do my job and look forward to time spent with my BF.

7. phixx128

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 19... but I'm going to continue to work until I save enough money to move, pay for expenses and buy enough time to find a steady job and possibly a roommate.

Honestly I'm not in a huge hurry. I'll be 20 in January and I'm thinking to save my money for a year or a little more will give me enough time to save enough $$.

Until then I need to do research on cities that intrigue me the most. My top choice right now is San Diego. If not there, or somewhere in Southern California, I'd like to move somewhere in the Northeast. (Boston, NYC, etc.)

Any suggestions?

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

I don't want to steer you away from the cities you're looking at - they're all good. But don't feel that those are your only options. Most cities of "decent size" tend to be gay-friendly, have lots to do, and can be a lot cheaper than NYC or LA. I'm in Denver, and it's great here.

Lex

9. Dazed

Dazed Guest

personally..i love richmond VA :] i dont run into too many homophobics. but good luck on moving.

my parents are moving out of state..thank god. they are the only people im not out to and i will never come out to them.my sister went through her liking girls phase when she was 12 or 13 and my parents were so nasty to her. she ended up prego 2 years later but i think she just got with guys to keep my parents quiet.

10. ElizabethAnne

Hey, that sounds like a real adventure!!

I moved out in September so that I could live as a lesbian, and these have been the best four months of my life!

Good luck - I hope you find a good place to move to!
    Liz.