1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out as bisexual, can I tell my friend I want to change my label?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WeirdKid, May 27, 2015.

1. WeirdKid

Hello!

I came out to some of my friends a while ago as bisexual, and although I think it was the right label for me at the time and that at 21 I felt like I should be getting on with it, I have since realised that is may not be the correct one.

Now, I don't quite know what I do wish to label myself as, so I am in no rush to specifically put a new label on myself, but I would like to retract (not sure that's the right word for it!) the previous one. Personally, at this current moment I would say I am biromantic _____________. What goes on that line I'm not sure about yet, but it's somewhere on the asexual spectrum.

So basically, is it ok to tell my friends that although I don't have a new label for myself, I don't identify with the current one they know anymore. Or should I wait until I do know what goes on that line.

On a similar note, could I come out for the first time with a label that still has a blank line in it?

Thanks for reading my ramble! :slight_smile:

2. star trek

I would personally wait until I found that new label, and then tell them that you really feel comfortable with the new label, rather than "Bisexual". If you're coming out for the first time, I would say yes you could keep the blank. You could either wait until you figure the blank out, or tell them that you really needed to come out and couldn't keep it in, but you still have not figured out your sexuality, yet. I don't think it's a HUGE deal retracting your label. You still have not figured everything out, you need time.

3. Foz

Foz Guest

I wouldn't worry so much about your 'label', labels aren't flexible but your sexuality is, so I don't really believe they are that important. But as for working yourself out, you're in the right place :slight_smile:

4. guitar

You can label yourself whatever you want. Labels are simply a shortcut to let others know what your sexuality is in a few sentences. Let your sexuality be whatever it is, don't try to change yourself to fit any label.

To use myself as an example, I label myself as gay for simplicity sake. I could just as easily say I'm bi but some definitions of bisexuality might not include me. Saying I'm way more attracted to guys but think women are beautiful and sort of attractive but not enough to really want to sleep with them yada yada yada...

Just because I say "gay" doesn't mean I have to change myself to fit a label. It's just a blanket term like any label.

5. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people