1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More than friends...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Vector, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I'm falling in love with a gay friend of mine, and I don't know what to do. I'm already seeing a guy but I've been thinking about cutting that off for a while, but I'm really terrible at the whole breaking up thing.

Life is so fucking confusing at the best of times. =_="

2. Trumpetplyer23

You don't like the other dude, right? Tell him so. I mean, don't be brash about it. Just say, "Look [insert dude's name here], I think you're a really nice person, but I just don't see it working between us. I'd still like to be your friend, but I don't think we work as boyfriends. I'm sorry."

As for your gay friend, find out if he likes you. Hang out with him more, flirt with him, the whole nine yards. But, one thing to keep in mind, if he doesn't like you and he requests that you stay away from him basically, you should probably do so. No one like a stalker.

3. boredofnormal

Trumpetplayer23 said it pretty well...
    It sounds like its time for you to put some distance between you and the guy you're seeing. If you 'new friend' knows you two are an item, it will definitely discourage him from showing interest. No one likes an emotional triangle.

After the chat with current BF, spend more time with guy #2 - see how it works out. If nothing else, you're free to find the one you can see it working out with and not wasting alot of time second guessing yourself.

4. Trystan

I was gonna say the above 2 posts earlier but thought it sounded a bit harsh... but now someone else's written it down it looks alright I guess :slight_smile: Good luck with it all...

5. crystaltriforce

just tell your boyfriend and your friend how you feel about them. and they don't feel the same way then to hell with them.

6. whitefang

I feel u on that one...
    Except I don't have a boy friend!

7. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ARGH! I just want to scream out so loud, but it's 3:30AM.

I broke up with my boyfriend yesterday. He's not taking it too well. I feel like a dirtbag.
    I followed that up by one of the bigger benders I've ever had, with the addition of half a pack of my friend's cigarettes.
    Tonight, I went to a local pub. 3 out of 4 of my ex's were there (including the one I just broke up with), along with this friend of mine I'm falling for. The friend of mine is absolutely off his head, and I find out (not from him) that the feelings I have for him are in fact mutual. And just to top it all off, the largest amount of gay guys I've ever seen around my age were out at this particular pub. Normally it's gay night once a month and that's it. I counted five, and that's in the (very) short period of time I was actually paying attention, in a small section of the venue. I'm positive there were many many more.
    So here I am at the pub with my recent ex and a few of his friends, and the friend of mine who wants to make out with me, one day after I broke up.

I Felt Awkward.

I just needed to get that off my chest. Reading back over it makes my mild dash of insanity - talking to myself, bursting into fits of slightly manic laughter and almost crying numerous times - feel justified.

#7 Vector, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  8. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, something I can actually speak to. I just went through an almost identical scenario, save for the bit about the pub.

You did the right thing in breaking it off with your ex. If he didn't take it well, then he'll soon come to see you did the right thing. If your feelings weren't mutual, then it WOULD NEVER HAVE WORKED OUT. You need to remember that, no matter how horrible you feel for doing it. I just did the same thing, and felt like crap for a good while, but remembered that it was ultimately for the best. My ex is starting to see that, and yours will too. If he makes an attempt to come back to you, reexplain that you think he's great (and that you honestly mean that), but that the feelings aren't there for you. Those are feelings you can't force. If you think that he isn't going to get over you very quickly, then it may be in both of your best interests to distance yourself from him so that you can both move on without seeing each other for a little while.

Also, with this other guy. My situation is slightly different, but I say go for it. If you like each other, then there's no reason to not go for it. You may want to take things slowly, or maybe wait a week so that you can process everything that just ended with your ex. If you've both laid the ground rules that you share feelings (which you need to hear FROM HIM), then you don't necessarily need to dive in immediately. Give yourself a couple of days, and give your ex a couple of days (it sounds like you still care about him as a friend). Your feelings and this other guy's feelings will still be there. Following your heart is important and should come first, but you should still use your head.

Best of luck!

9. boredofnormal

I'm glad you're moving forward. I say 'go get 'im!'
    ~~but I have to agree with Trumpetkid, you can talk to him and get to know him better without diving straight into the fire. A little emotional break could be helpful.