1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I be open about my sexuality to the school counsellor?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alder, May 28, 2015.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going for an appointment about some other personal stuff but my sexuality ties into some of the stuff I want to talk about.

I'm really wary about talking about it though; I guess it's a little bit daunting having to be so open about it and I'm worried about the consequences. I also don't want to snap right back into being unsure or anxious about my sexuality again which can definitely happen if she starts asking questions or being uncomfortable with it.

I'm not sure how to approach this territory, should I tentatively mention it and see how she reacts or? I know one of the senior staff members in school is supportive but I'm not sure about the counsellors because they come from outside organizations. Thanks!(*hug*)

2. cyclops79

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do it. I'm a bit older, mainly dealing with breaking down the old stigmas I was raised with. If they are a therapist/councilor it's totally ok. There's this thing called confidentiality. Unless you are going to hurt yourself or others they won't talk about it. And if they are any type of therapist with a decent amount of experience they've heard it all. And if they don't have the experience they'll refer you to another therapist.

3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Talking to someone will also take weight off shoulders.

4. Miko

Miko Guest

Do it! I told my high school counselor about my sexuality, she kept it a secret and it really helped. ^-^

5. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope that is working out for you. (Incidentally :grin: ) eavesdropping on your previous posts, I can tell that you're trying quite hard to learn/un-learn - construct/de-construct certain aspects of your identity.

I'd agree about opening up about your sexuality to the councillor, definitely. She's supposed to keep everything you say in confidence, but I think the real question is if you are ready for it...

6. itsmary

Try it :slight_smile: I told my therapist and he was OK with that but acted like a complete dick. Don't worry, just be confident.

7. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the others. I think it's best that you be open about your sexuality to your counselor.

Counselors are trained to be LGBT friendly, and are usually very safe to come out to.

The university I attended made you fill out an intake questionnaire before your first counseling session, which included a question about sexual orientation. I'm sure the reason why this is done is because sexual orientation can be important for counseling, and being open about it early on can enable issues surrounding sexual orientation to be effectively addressed early on.

Counselors understand that people can be very uncomfortable coming into counseling and discussing whatever the relevant issues are. You school counselor will probably be very sensitive to the fact that you're uncomfortable discussing these things, but chances are you'd become increasingly more and more comfortable talking about it with him/her over time.

8. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for the really supportive advice! It means a lot (*hug*)

The term's almost ended but I'll try and be more open about it even for just a few sessions- I guess it's a good first step.

9. kloulou

kloulou Guest

Councillors can't help you if they don't know everything!! They will work at their prime if they know everything that is troubling you so if your sexuality is part of it, I'd say tell him/her!
    It's part of the councillors job not to judge, but to help! Also everything is confidential.
    The most important thing is to be comfortable with your councillor. So do what's best for you :slight_smile: