1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell housemates?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sunrays, May 28, 2015.

1. Sunrays

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi

First post, please be nice haha.

I'm at uni, in my early 20s, living with three other guys. Essentially I'm now at the point where coming out is on my mind constantly and I've decided I can't go on like this. I've decided to tell them this weekend but the problem is that I've no idea how to bring up the subject without it being horrendously awkward.

I've told a few friends who aren't at uni, but it was always when the opportunity came up. I've only brought it up myself once and it was the most socially difficult thing I've ever had to do, and although I know he's fine with it we still don't talk about it. I'm not eager to repeat the experience.

I've waited for months for a decent chance but my housemates never ask about girlfriends or anything, and I have the feeling they're avoiding the subject as I never talk about girls the way they do.

Any ideas on how I can bring this up without it being really cringy? I know they won't care once I do tell them, it's the actually doing it that's driving me mad.

#1 Sunrays, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just call a general meeting and tell them that you are going to be inviting boyfriends over, so you wanted them to know in case they came in and saw someone in your room with you. You wont even have to tell them that you are gay. It is only awkward if you are embarrassed about being gay, so think about that for a bit, and why you feel that way, since you know that they won't really care if you are.