1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared to come out to my friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AJ56, May 31, 2015.

1. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've come to realize that I'm not straight but I'm terrified about coming out to my best friend. Even knowing that she is accepting of LGBT people, I think it's going to shock her a lot. I'm really scared and don't know what to expect. I only plan on coming out to her for now. Call me a big baby, but I was crying not too long ago just thinking about it. :cry: I've never been so scared in my life. Also, I don't exactly know how to come out to her either. Do I just tell her straightforwardly? Or should I slowly build it up to that point?

2. kloulou

kloulou Guest

If you're really worried about it, you can always write her a note or text her. Or if you would rather tell her in person you can drop little hints. Maybe point out a few guys you think are hot. If you don't want to do that either, you can slowlyyyy bring it up. If you're super, super brave, just come out and say it! But it is the hardest one of the lot and takes a lot of guts, but at least it gets it over and done with. Although by the sounds of it, you don't need to be scared if she is accepting of LGBT people ^-^
    And if she doesn't accept you, she's not worth it! Friends are there to support you, not to judge you! And if she has been a good friend to you in the past, there is no reason why she shouldn't support you now, when you're in need of support the most!
    This is just my experience, but I've told a lot of my close friends, ones who I haven't even talked to about different sexualities with, and they were always there for me. If she is a good friend, she will support you no matter what!
    Good luck <3

3. matiasz94

matiasz94 Guest

It seems like you are psyching yourself out, its just words. I thought my world would crumble before I told my bff but I just told her straight out, "bro I have something to tell you that I've been hiding for a while and its really been bothering me." Okay this was only a couple of days ago and haven't really talked since, and yes okay I am freaking a little, but the thing I realized is that it didn't kill me. Weather or not things will be the same is irrelevant. I got to be myself with someone I love.

It's never easy, but it's always worth it. Best of luck bro!

4. CourtneyLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember being super nervous about coming out to my friends, too, but generally I found that people are more accepting than you might expect. Maybe just wait til you guys are having a nice conversation and then say "Hey, I've wanted to tell you this for a long time --" instead of sitting her down all serious-like. Sometimes that takes the pressure off you, and it'll just feel like another normal topic of conversation. It's up to you though, and I wish you the best of luck!!!

5. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

If you're worried about her being really surprised, maybe you can start by just dropping hints. Like, you could start talking about LGBT issues a bit or say you like a girl celebrity or think a girl's cute. But I'm sure that even if you just came right out and told her, she'd react well since you're good friends with her and she's supportive of LGBT people. I was super nervous to come out to my good friend who's 1) bisexual and 2) probably one of the most accepting people I know. I was totally worked up about it but once I told her, it felt a lot better and looking back on it now, it's odd to me that I even got so nervous in the first place. I think this will likely be the case for you and once you do it, you'll feel a lot better. Good luck!(*hug*)

6. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She's been a very good friend to me, so that's why she was the first person I thought of to come out to. So I highly doubt she will have a bad reaction. Maybe I'm freaking out over nothing.

7. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I just came out to her, and I'm just so happy to finally tell her about it. She was very supportive of me and still loves me the way I am. Just 2 weeks ago, I came out to another friend of mine. She was also fine with it and she even came out to me too! She also came out as bi! It feels good to finally tell those that you can trust! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

8. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats!!!!!!

9. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It always makes me happy when someone comes out and it goes well for them. I myself came out without a hitch. But I understand it's not like that for most people...I want to extend my full support in what you're doing and I hope it goes as smoothly with everyone else as it is with your friends <3.

10. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you guys! <3

11. childhooddream

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is what I know... if anyone is worth having in your life they should be willing to accept you for ALL of who you are - and in any relationship where you feel like you have to hide parts of yourself to keep the peace, thats not a genuine loving relationship. That being said, I understand the feeling... and i felt the exact same way when i came out to my best friend. She was so important to me and i was terrified that being honest about who I was might lead things to be weird or awkward between us... but honestly my fears were a lot worse than reality. She accepted me for who i am, things aren't or never have been weird since then aside from a little misunderstandings about what it means to be bi on her side... but other than that it went great. and do you know what, it doesn't always go well, but 9 times out of ten it goes better than you think it will. And even if she is shocked, if she cares about you as a person and you aren't just an accessory to her... she won't care, or she will at least try to be understanding over time. but for some people it's a process. anyway about whether to come out or not, thats your decision... but personally i think its so much better to be out than in and honestly when i told my best friend i can't even explain how good i felt afterwards... i faced one of my biggest fears and finally i felt like i could be myself around her. I think it's worth it... and even if you lose a friend, fuck her... or him... whatever... you can make new friends - ones who love you for you and not for who they want you to be... i hope this helps.