1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RainbowBrite16, May 31, 2015.

1. RainbowBrite16

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So me and my Girlfriend of 2.5 years just got engaged my entire moms side of the family knows and is very supportive, a couple family members on my Dad's side know and were also supportive....I tried coming out to him about 7 years ago kinda played it off as a joke to test the waters and he got totally bent out of shape and threw his cup against the fence and stormed off. Since then I haven't said a word to him about it. I'm afraid that he will cut me out of his life and never talk to me again, I want him to be there for my wedding and be ok with my lifestyle both of her parents love me and treat me like a 2nd daughter. My Dad is Chaldean and very old school in his ways also lives on the other side of the country so I was thinking a long heart felt letter would be good with a wedding invitation? Any advise would be super helpfull...

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think a long heart felt letter is probably the best way you could go about doing this, especially since he lives far away. I know you probably wouldn't do this, but just make sure you don't say anything that sounds aggressive or angry in the letter. Maybe just express to him how much you wish he'd come because you want to see him and you want him to be there for this important part of your life. Hope this helps. Best of luck!<3

3. DragKing692

I wholeheartedly agree with Bubbles. A letter sounds great, and there's a good chance he'll see your side of the story. I hope it all turns out right. And also:
    CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT!!!
    Best wishes,
    Bernie
    P.S. Happy pride month!