1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jasen, Dec 3, 2008.

1. jasen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have been wanting to come out to my best friend for awhile now but I dont know how.

Do you guys have any advice?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

I think it is great that you feel ready to take that step. Going by your info on the side, it looks like that this is your first coming out. It is okay to feel nervous. Try to find a good time or a good opportunity. Maybe try going for a walk or meet him or her at a place where you feel comfortable.

You could start by saying that "there is something I have been meaning to tell you. I know I can trust you with this. I want you to know that I am gay (or 'I like guys')" and take it from there. It is really up to you as to how much or little you want to say.

As an aside, if you try and it doesn't happen, it is okay. If it doesn't happen just try it again at the next opportunity.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck! Let us know if you need more help. Keep us updated.

3. Evanfan

well, i've not come out to anyone.. so i probably wouldn't be the best person to get advice from.. but if you still want to know what i think then ill help you out..

i know it seems hard to come out. you probably think its really scary, because you do not know how your friends or whoever you come out to will react. That's what scares me, but sometimes i say to myself.. if they really love me, and if they were willing to accept me the way i am, no matter how i am, then they should understand me.

Some people might freak out completely and draw you away from them, some will fake being ok with it, and some will be ok with it. Sometimes people fake being ok with it because they don't know wether your relationship with them, wether a friendship or anything else, is more important that the situation.

so my point is, yes you probably will be scared about their reaction, but if they're really good people they should understand. Just find a way to tell your friend; and if your plan fails, then just wait until no one is around and just blurt it out. that way at least that part will be over.
    hope i helped! :slight_smile:

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Just pick a private time with your friend and be honest. Usually friends take the news the best so you probably have nothing to worry about.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

It'll depend on a lot of factors. What might be right in one situation might not be ideal in another. How close are you to your friend? Do you ever, or often, have "serious talks"? Do you have any idea how he feels about homosexuality in general? Is it something you feel you can do face-to-face? (That's always the best way, but sometimes is extremely difficult.)

Lex

6. xequar

This is good, and basically the same thing I would recommend.

Something to consider is that this is your party, so make sure you're the one in control of the situation. I have one group of friends that when we hang out, it's pretty much always as a group, so getting one-on-one opportunities took some patience. I rode along with one of them when he went to grab some food and talked to him. I waited until one of them was leaving and followed him out so I could talk to him in private. The big thing was that in each scenario, it was a situation with which I was comfortable (well, as comfortable as one can be as they're taking their first steps out of the closet).

And, in each case, I made sure to tell them that I was ok with them talking about it, that it wasn't a state secret or anything like that. In the case of my group of friends, I asked that they let me tell everyone first, but after that, it was a valid topic to discuss. I would recommend that you do the same. If you treat it as though it's a state secret and a forbidden topic, it will be. If you show that you're comfortable with it, everyone else will be far more comfortable with it.

*hugs* and best hopes for you!

7. crystaltriforce

you should just tell your friend while hanging out where you feel most comfertable. if that person realy is your friend he or she should understand and accept you.:thumbsup:
    good luck with comeing out.:smilewave

#7 crystaltriforce, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008