1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yay! Transphobic parents!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xfinitycomcast, Jun 1, 2015.

1. xfinitycomcast

This is probably like my fourth time attempting to write this, every time I seem to go off on a ramble about something completely random. (sorry if I do that, that's just my ADD)

Anyway, as you've probably gathered by now, my parents are transphobic, that wouldn't be too bad... if I wasn't trans, I mean, yeah I'd still be pissed but I wouldn't be damn scared of them.

Being and accepting my identity as MtF isn't bad either, and my friends at least know that I'm not Male, but I feel out of place being the only trans person that I know in my friend group (many have different sexual orientations but I'm the only one with a different gender to my natal gender) and I'm not sure if I'm ready to tell everyone that I'm trans.
    Most of my friends know that I'm bisexual, that's cool, I'm not too fussed about that because my parents, for some reason, don't care about orientations, I suppose it's just the name changing and stuff associated with being trans, I'm really not sure, but they seem alright with me hanging out with lesbian, gay bi, pan, etc. people.

My main concern is my parents, obviously, my friends, being in the LGBT community are obviously. I don't want to come out to them simply because I'm not sure what would happen and that troubles me. I know my parents would most likely try to do their best to support me but I don't think there would be much support there.

Yeah, so I'm not sure what to do, I really want to come out so I can actually feel comfortable doing things outside of my own gender stereotypes. Only with my close friends can I actually be myself and that's probably why I want to come out.

Thanks for reading!

2. xfinitycomcast

Bumping so people can see this. I really need some help.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Your parents are transphobic, but would it still be safe to come out to them? That's always the first thing I recommend thinking about when coming out. You could write them a letter, and maybe leave them links to some resources they could look at. If you think your friends would be more supportive, you could come out to them first.