1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out to my friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kristenluhh, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Kristenluhh

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How did you work up the courage to come out to your friends?

2. lovecraft

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly ? Many times I came out to friends I was drinking so I had the liquid courage to say it and get it out there. Then later talk about it sober. It may not be the most healthy way, but it's how it happened.

3. ApexxShadow

I came out to my best friend via text message. This was our conversation:

Friend: Okay, well your contact name *birth name that I don't use* Way (like Gerard Way)

Me: But I don't like boys

Friend: Would you like me to change it to Williams then?

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

You also can just come out to a few at a time, starting with one or two close friends who you know are accepting. This might make it a bit easier to tell more people.

5. bajel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I kind of just forced myself to do it. I was tired of going to bed every night wondering when I would be honest with them. For my first person, I told her I needed to talk to her about something later in the week, and then tried to back out which made her get really suspicious and pissed because I started avoiding her so I told her because I kind of had to so I wouldn't lose her. Totally horrible way for it to happen, it caused me a lot of pain.

6. bigspeakers

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It took a long time to tell about this to my bf. Sometimes I was so ready, that I couldn't wait that moment till I tell her, and sometimes I just thought that if I tell to her, everything will just break apart (She's kinda homophobic).

I told her about it with a text message. She took it really well. She said that I was so brave when I told it even to her. She said that she don't like that when she sees girls/boys kissing, but she said that she wants to support me and secure me.

So if your not ready to tell it face to face, you can write a letter or send a text message.

#6 bigspeakers, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  7. xfinitycomcast

Honestly, it should be easy if your friends are truly your friends.
    I'm not sure what your friends are like but if they treat you any differently, they aren't your real friends so I wouldn't associate with them if I was in your position.

My personal thoughts is just straight up tell them, it might take some courage, but just do it. Maybe start off a conversation about a famous lesbian, don't mention their sexuality straight away but start off the conversation like "hey did you watch Ellen last night, for example and just kinda be like "hey, you know she's lesbian right" see their reactions and then say something along the lines of "yeah, so am I".

Hope I help!

8. Knave

If you have any friends who are lgbt+ coming out to them is probably the best way to start. For me when I came out to one of my life long friends the hardest part was getting the conversation going. I ended up doing it through text. I was almost certain he'd accept me though which made it (slightly) easier. But if you want to commit yourself to doing it try doing it through text and opening with something along the lines of "I have something to tell you but don't know how to say it." Once you send that you're pretty much committed since there aren't many things that warrant that kind of lead up.

9. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I came out to most of my friends under different circumstances. The first time was when I was still questioning; I had an emotional breakdown and called one of my female friends who I knew had experimented with girls in the past and talked to her.

The second time was my ex-girlfriend, and that was via text in a conversation about my lack of social skills and relationship sense (of which I have very little).

The third was one of my close friends whose boyfriend is rather homophobic and had made some comments previously about not wanting to be in the locker room with gay guys at swimming. I told her, and she asked me if I was gay/bisexual or something and that was why it bothered me, and I told her yes.

The fourth was the probably the hardest because I was afraid the guy would ditch me when I told him. He had made some homophobic comments around me in the past, and I knew that he disapproved of homosexuality in general and believed that it was a choice and all that. We were talking about BSA, and he was afraid that some guy would go to his tent in the middle of the night and "go down on him" or something. I just had enough and told him that I'm bi, and that was the end of it. We're still really close, and it's not weird between us at all, even though he knows I've got a major crush on him and have for a while.

One of my friends was actually on a bet; she is a tomboy and hates pink, but she had said something about "the day [my name] is gay, I'll show up to school in a pink tutu and sparkles." I took her up on that, and she had to wear pink to school for a whole day.

There have been several others in the course of conversations, a couple of people who wanted to know who I liked and eventually figured out that it was a boy, and I'm sure there are other people who have figured it out on their own. Honestly, most of it comes down to the situation; if it were different circumstances, I probably wouldn't have had the courage to tell the people I told. I would still be curled up in my closet in the fetal position rocking back and forth in the dark. When the right time comes around, you'll know.