1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ThirdMan, Jun 2, 2015.

1. ThirdMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, so here's the deal, I came out to my friends just before Christmas time, and as I expected they were completely fine with it, just a little surprised. Then around Easter I came out to my auntie, I knew she would be okay with it because she is a lesbian and she kind of realised I was gay anyway.
    The problem though is my parents, I think my dad wouldn't mind that much as his sister is gay, but he still says that its not right, he probably be just be a bit upset. My mom however is a different story, she always says that being gay isn't natural and its wrong. And every time she sees gay people on the tele she always has to point it out and say it disgusting. She has always said to me though that it would be okay to be gay but I don't think she means it at all and I know that it will be a problem for her.
    So like, I don't really know what to do? I'm happy with my life at home and I think that if I come out, it will be different and never be the same again, but then on the other hand it might make things much better and I wouldn't have to hide anything from them?
    Plus, because everyone at school knows I'm gay, i'm worried that someone might say something to them thinking that they know and that would be worse because they shouldn't hear it from someone else and it will seem like I'm cowardly.
    What should I do?

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It has to be "ok" to be gay, when you are gay, because you don't have any choice about it, and neither do your parents. You are essentially out already; you mom knows it, which is why she told you it would be ok, she just isn't happy about it. Odds are your dad does too, whether he wants to talk about it or not. It is only a question of when you will be comfortable talking to them about it and getting the discussion out into the open, instead of avoiding it. Sooner or later, as you know, someone at school will do something on their own timetable which makes hiding the truth impossible. It is up to you to decide how and when you want to have the talk with your parents, if you want to get it done before that unknown date arrives. Perhaps your aunt can offer you suggestions on the best way to do it, and maybe even be with you to support you in the discussion with your parents when you are ready. She might even be the right person to discuss things with your mother before you tell her, to pave the way for you, since she can answer many of the questions your mother might want to ask you.