1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eric, RIP

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hoppip, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Hoppip

Dear Eric,

I don't know you, but I know of you. I used to see your face in the halls, you were part of student senate, you were a cheery, happy and outgoing boy.

Last night you committed suicide. At least that's what I heard. They're not sure if it was an accident, but they said on the announcements that it was a suicide.

Never has the school been so deafening in its silence. Never has the school been so shocked, afraid, helpless.

As I walked down the halls, seeing your friends in tears, their hearts in pain... I do not blame you for that, Eric. But it opened my eyes.

When I heard you had committed suicide, tears erupted from my eyes. My teacher told me that your friends were all in the lecture center and I could go there... I looked at her and said, "I didn't even know him."

Eric, I'm so sorry that you committed suicide. I don't know why I was so affected by it, either... I felt selfish for crying at your death because I didn't know you. However, we had some things in common.

You're gay, too.

I think I cried because I didn't want you just becoming another damn statistic...

My friend Morgan told me that from the ashes of tragedy come perseverance. I knew right then that I had learned something:

Suicide affects everybody. Even people you don't know. Even people who are just more statistics in your "demographic."

I cried for you, Eric, and I'll continue to cry. A part of my high school died today. A part of every single student died. A part of you in every one of us left.

Now I know that there are faces behind every statistic. There are lives and smiles and hugs and warmth behind every single "statistic." You have given me a new perspective on the value of life.

Rest in peace, Eric. We will miss you until the sands of time themselves blow away.

#1 Hoppip, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Re: Let someone know you're thinking of them.

Eric...... I don't know you but I'm crying for you too. I swear I will do everything in my power to stop these senseless deaths from happening. I will talk to parents until I can't talk anymore and tell them to love their gay children. I will work to stop the gay bashing that goes on in schools. I will work for equal rights until we have them. I will work hard until gay people are treated with dignity and respect and the pain stops. I love my son and I love you guys here on Empty Closets and it would kill me if anything ever happened to one of you guys. Please make your own commitments to use your voice whenever you can to stop homophobia. Be proud of who you are! (&&&)

And for you Seanathon............... (*hug*)

3. Amy

Amy

^ I'm crying too. ^

I can't even form a complete and coherent sentence. Basically, what Becky said. This has to stop.

One of my friend just asked my why I was crying. You get two hugs from us. (*hug*) (*hug*)

4. Helen

Helen Guest

Sean..(*hug*)

I'm so sorry to hear that, it made me cry as well. And my mother came in just now, we're both really sorry. It's such an awful thing to happen, and I hope you're okay.

RIP Eric, obviously I don't know you, but I'll do everything *I* can to try and stop this. Maybe it won't be as much as Becky can, but it'll be something, I promise.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Sean, thank you for sharing that with us. I am so sorry to hear of a young life so tragically wasted. If only there was more support available to those who need it.

6. BeautifulStranger

Like the rest, this too made me cry.

Eric, my sympathy is with your family.
    I hope you find peace and comfort now.

7. GuitarGirl1350

We had the same thing happen in a few days of each other.

It's so, so fucking sad.

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

That was very touching... :frowning2:
    I've attempted it before, but I haven't succeeds; wakes me up a bit.

9. EM68

I'm sorry to here this Eric. It is sad. When I was in high school, a girl in the class behind me committed suicide. She was number 2 in the class rankings. She was in a couple of my classes. I did not know her too well but I cried. :frowning2:

10. xequar

Holy shit...

11. tm74

tm74 Guest

It's always sad to hear of someone so young taking their own life.

All I can offer in support is a virtual hug from several thousand miles away, but I have no doubt that everyone who has read this thread is thinking of you and your classmates at this time. I certainly am.

:frowning2:

12. Linkmaste

Shit,

I bow my head in silence for this. This has got to stop like...damn. I'm giving you a moment of silence for you Eric, and others that took their life like that. RIP man.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I hope this is a wake up call for any of you who have thought about suicide as a way out. People grieve that don't even know you personally. Its very, very painful. Imagine what its like for your parents, your family, your friends. We're here to help eachother get through "stuff". Your coming outs, your relationships with your parents, everything. This is what Empty Closets is for.

14. littledinosaurs

I don't know what to say really, but i needed to say something sean so you knew that i read this and was touched by it.
    I Hope eric is at peace.

15. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sean, I'm sorry for the loss you've encountered and for everyone who knew Eric. It's a tragedy that could've been avoided. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

16. Mickey

I'm sorry,too. Why can't people see that the way they treat others can lead to
    something like this? Suicide rates are the highest among gay teens. This is why we need
    equality and understanding. It's just so sad.

17. Nodnarb

Thank you for posting this Sean. My thoughts are with your school and everyone who knew Eric.

I know exactly what you mean with this.

A girl in my class committed suicide this summer. I didn't know her; the only time I ever spoke to her was when I played badminton with her once. But I still cried. It was still devastating. And it affected all of us.

I agree with Becky. I hope everybody really takes this to heart. Suicide affects far more people than you can imagine.

18. Nixon

scary thought

thats sad

19. Nixon

Thats a debatable statistic and has been proven wrong

srry, just wanted to point it out

20. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is sad and horrible that this happened. Thank you for sharing this with us Sean. (*hug*)

As Becky mentioned, it is a wake up call. If you feel you have reached a point where you feel things don't make sense anymore, talk to someone. There is always a way out. There is always someone who will listen to you and will try to help you through things. Always.