1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I tried coming out, now I'm back again

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sab, Jun 3, 2015.

1. sab

sab

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I first came out to my friend that I’m bi about two years ago, and she was fully supportive of me. After that, I became more confident about myself and decided to come out to my mom because she’s always been supportive of me and I trusted her.

About a year ago, I said to my mom that I need to talk to her privately, and I simply told her that I am bisexual. Right after I told her, she was extremely shocked and slightly frightened, so I tried my best to calm her down and explain what that means. At this point, I still had a hope that she would accept my sexuality.

I was completely wrong. The more I talked, the angrier she became, and she started scolding me saying that I’m “disgusting” and “out-of-mind”, and if I ever think about having sex with a girl, then I would be a monster.

She also added that I’ve always been normal and I’ve never shown any “sign” of being attracted to women (mine kind of started after I hit puberty), and I am sad because I just broke up with my ex-boyfriend (well, that’s not it). My mom is not a really religious person, so I never expected that kind of reaction from her. My eyes were full of tears, and she soothed me by saying that I will find another boyfriend eventually.

Now I’m back to my old self again, afraid and scared of being more open. Maybe I could have come out better, but it’s really too late. I never wanted to hear those comments from someone that I love.

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am very sorry to hear that your mom reacted badly. There is nothing wrong with you. I hope that you mom can learn to accept you. I hope that you have better luck with coming out to other people in the future.