1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheKAT, Jun 4, 2015.

1. TheKAT

I came out to my parents and they keep on asking what they can do to support me , however I don't know what to say, I'm still figuring this out! Any suggestions on what they can do to support me ??

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they are at a loss how to deal with things it might be a good idea to put them in touch with PFLAG. If they are able to talk to other parents who have been through the same thing, it might help them (and you) a lot.

3. Lyana

Well, what kind of support do you need?

Just being accepting of you, and telling you you can count on them, is a great thing for your parents to do -- and it sounds like they've done just that. So congrats on coming out, and I'm glad it went so well!

Talk about pronouns/names/clothing with them if that's something you want to change. Also explain to them what your gender is, and be willing to answer their questions. You need support, but they might, too!

You could ask them to reduce gendered speech, like talking about a future "boyfriend or girlfriend" instead of just "boyfriend," that kind of thing. Asking if you like anyone, not if you like a girl.

Tell them you'd feel great if they spoke up when someone dissed the LGBT community, that kind of thing. It's their kid they're defending, after all.

Most importantly, be sure to tell them they're awesome, you love them very much, and you'll come to them if you're having trouble, and that's when they'll be able to show their support!

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

The same things that they ought to be doing for you if you were straight. Believe it or not, but straight people have all of the same problems, dealing with relationships, that LGBTs have.

LGBT individuals, though, do have special issues, often enough. Sometimes, gay guys get lucky, and they end up with an older queer who sort of shelters them while they're growing the rest of their pinfeathers, but just as often, one ends up with some faithless jerk-off who lies about his HIV status, uses him in a completely Machiavellian manner for several months, and leaves him for dead, and because gay guys are often not really out of the closet or, if they are, don't really have the support of their families, they don't really have anywhere to turn.

It's really important to learn venues where you can meet honest people. PFLAG events are really very good places to start, and that's really the best way to get your parents acquainted with ways they can help you. Here is the PFLAG website:

PFLAG Canada is there when it seems no-one else is.

There are other LGBT organizations in Canada. The US incarnation of PFLAG, though, is an extraordinarily good organization. If your parents want to get involved in trying to learn how to help and support you, that's the way to do it. From PFLAG, they can get educational materials, and they can talk with other parents of LGBT kids. It would do a great deal to comfort them.

#4 Christiaan, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015