1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to hide my sexual orientation on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Helene, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Helene

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello!

I'm a 19-year old girl, who is on the urge to coming out to my parents.
    I've got some homosexual friends with who I'm going out with, often in lesbian clubs, Pride, Gaystortion and so on.
    On Facebook I keep track of the events, like a lot of people do.. My problem is, that my mom called me today and asked me to stop showing on Facebook that I'm participating in homo-events, because she thinks it sends a wrong message to people who are looking at my profile, especially people with whom I work etc.
    Therefore my question is: How much do you think is appropriate to show to the public regarding your sexual orientation?
    Personally I think that I shouldn't hide my events on Facebook just because it might disturb some people that I like girls. Also, it really hurt that my mom requests me to hide a part of myself.

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your Facebook page is about YOU, not what your mom thinks will reflect on her, which is probably what is going on. If you don't think you should hide events you would like to share with your friends, then don't. You can always set your page up so that your friends can see those kind of events you post, but your mom can't, if you think having her see them is causing you problems.

3. Foz

Foz Guest

You know what? No one will say a damn thing that's what!

I was testing the waters last year and had "Likes men and women" in my about me for 6 months, I could easily deny it and say I've been fraped. But not one single person mentioned a thing. Besides, the only people who don't put that info up are gay/bi so people will otherwise know.

Bitches don't care!