1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to cousins

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dano218, Jun 5, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok most of my aunts and uncles are accepting of my sexuality for the most part and I choose not to tell my cousins about my sexuality until they graduate from high school or unless they ask me first just because high school is tough enough i don't want them to have to deal with all that yet and i do that because I want not because I have to. Well one of my cousins just graduated from high school and i want to let him know I am gay but at the same time I don't know how I should go about it. Should i ask his mom(my aunt who is very accepting) or just go directly to him. I am conflicted what to do because I let her know a few years ago when I told I was gay that i would not share any gay related topics with them on Facebook until they got old enough to handle it and she appreciated it. I am sure no matter what I do she will not get mad she is not that kind of person but I don't know the best way to go about it. Hell I don't even know if my cousins already know.

2. ThatGuyT

ThatGuyT Guest

Hi. I have 21 cousins so I have already thaught quite a bit about how I would come out to them some day. I've thought of just telling my most trusted uncle and aunt and just let them spread the news. This might put a lot of pressure on that aunt/uncle though. Then I also thought of telling each aunt/uncle personally and just let them talk to their younger kids when they feel ready. All of my cousins except for one are old enough to talk about atuff like this in my opinion. The older cousins I will definitely tell myself...I'd just visit them and ask them to take a walk with me and try to tell them.
    Another way to go about it without any real confrontation would be to just like or share something LGBT related on facebook and let them see it. I recently saw an old friend on facebook liking a picture of abother man's topless photo. I immediately went to his profile and saw that his "attracted to:" box indicated "males". So that's a more subtle way of going about it I think. I personally think that saying it face to face would always be best...especially if you are close to that cousin. But since I haven't come out to anyone other than my dog:roflmao: I don't have any first hand experince for you. The fact that your aunt is very accepting is a great thing, so your cousin will hopefully take it well.
    Good luck :thumbsup:

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I will see the best way to go about it.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just tell him. If he just graduated h.s., he's a big boy. :slight_smile:

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would that simple lol and it probably is

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I have 17 first cousins altogether. Idk I mean on my dads side I could probably come out and not have any issues with any of my grandparents aunts uncles or cousins but on my moms side idk I've got some that are right wing and are against marriage equality. There would be some that would take it ok but in all honesty I'm not close to any of my cousins and I'm basically estranged from my cousins on my moms side of the family so idk if I'll even bother ever coming out to them.