1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluctuating thoughts of outness

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by woodlandbats, Jun 6, 2015.

1. woodlandbats

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi all,

So in my mind perhaps there is no great reason as to why I shouldn't come out?
    I have very little self confidence and so i'm not saying it would be easy as such, more that as it stands I SHOULD ALMOST WANT TO COME OUT MORE so why can't I?

Is my apathy going to miss a chance? Or will I KNOW when it is time to come out?
    .... But I don't want to miss my opportunity right?

Thanks and look forward to read and respond to your opinions or advice :slight_smile:

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are at this stage of contemplation, you are most likely ready to come out. Start with people who you can trust but with whom you are less emotionally attached to; this makes it real, and builds confidence for the next ones who will need to know.

3. woodlandbats

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not quite sure what or why you mean by less emotionally attached? Surely it would be my best friend first?

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greatwhale probably presumes you are emotionally attached to someone like your parents, or have more at stake in coming out to them, and is suggesting that you make your first coming out with someone you know and trust, perhaps your best friend, who will be there to support you when you come out to the people who you are more dependent upon, or whom you are less sure about their reaction to your disclosure.

If you don't feel the need to come out strongly, then you might not be ready yet, but on the other hand, it might not be such a big deal to you to come out, so you can just tell yourself lets get it done and move on; doesn't matter that much. The experience and urge to do it is different for everyone; do it when you feel it is right for you.