1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out as lesbian if I've only been with men?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pippogriff, Jun 6, 2015.

1. pippogriff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Jesus, just writing that title I can hardly take myself seriously - I don't know how anyone else is supposed to.
    I love women. So much. Yes, I spent my entire teen years dating men but it wasn't the same. I liked feeling desirable, I didn't like them. The exception is this one guy - but only one guy compared to the multitude of women? The only reason I haven't dated girls up until this last month was that there were no girls to date. And I hate being lonely, so I shacked up with guys instead. Fantasized about girls during sex, wouldn't let them touch me down there. I thought I was bi but now that I've spent this last month with women I know it's so much more than that.
    I've already told my family and friends that I like women - they assume I'm bi, naturally. That was easy. I think the hard part now is letting them know I'm gay and having them take me seriously given my history.
    Any advice would be much appreciated. :slight_smile:
    (Side note: my mum is kind but also really struggles to take me seriously in the first place, I'm mostly concerned about her)

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

First of all, LOTS of gay people have had relationships with people of the same sex before. That's nothing to be ashamed of. Most people probably won't think much of it if you tell them you're gay because they'll see that you're sure about yourself. Also the fact that you have dated men and still know you're gay means people can't pull the "well how do you know if you've never tried to date men" thing. Some people may find it hard to accept at first, but once they see that you know who you are and you're happier with women, they'll come around. You're mom or other people who aren't as accepting may try to tell you "but you've been with lots of guys before, so that means you like guys" but as long as you hold your ground and tell them you're sure of it, they'll eventually just have to get used to it. Since people think you're bi already, that makes it a lot easier and in fact a lot of people come out as bi for a while before they're sure about their orientation and then gay if they decide that they are actually gay.
    Best of luck!!(*hug*)

3. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in the same boat as you: Had straight relationships, didn't really feel any emotional connection or physical attraction, and now hanging out with another girl has pretty much confirmed what I already know, which is that I like girls.

Why not hold off on labeling or identifying publicly with a label? There's no rush. :slight_smile: You also don't need other people to validate your sexuality, you know better than anyone what you like and don't like!

4. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're willing to be open with your mom about how you really feel and why you are sure of your identity I think (or hope) that she would take you seriously. I'm not saying you owe her an explanation, just that talking it over would probably help.