1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out & The Next Step

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Creator, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Creator

Hello, theres a few things I wanted to know and ask so here I go.
    When your coming out to someone, what are the exact woulds you should say if there is any? For example, should you say "I think I'm gay" so that theres room to change to bisexual or straight if you change your mind? Should you say "I'm gay" straight up? I am not too sure but I am leaning on the "I think I'm gay" option because of the room to change if I feel being gay is not who I am in the future but right now in my life I think I'm gay and I want to be gay. Also, when coming out I am ready to do it but then when I am there I chicken out. Is there anyway to overcome this?
    After you've told someone your gay, what often happens? Do you become closer to family and friends? Do you not speak about it? Can you finally talk to them about things and feel more confortabe around them? Does the topic come up in other conversations, if so what might it be about and how might it affect you?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Kind regards,
    Creator.

#1 Creator, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. Lyana

Hi Creator! And welcome to EC.

There is no one way to come out. I'm sure we all came out using different words. It depends on many things: what you're comfortable saying, who you're talking to, how much room there is for confusion, etc.

A couple things you should do, however:
    - You should be honest. If you're not sure, then say that. If you feel gay, then say that.
    - You should try not to worry about changing your mind. It's okay to change labels down the road, if you realize you made a mistake.

You say you "chicken out." Who does this happen with? Who do you want to tell? It's normal to be afraid, or to feel awkward. And yes, you can overcome it. Sometimes it's a sign that you're not ready yet. Other times, it's just that making that first step is freaking scary. How do you overcome it? By doing it one step at a time. Pick someone you know will react well, and tell them. Then wait, enjoy their support, and take your time telling the next person, and so on.

An important thing is to know your parents will not disown you, harm you, or kick you out if you come out to them. You probably know if they're supportive of LGBT folks or not.

Well, it depends on how they take things. With all my friends, I knew they wouldn't care. I talk about my feelings for girls freely, and they're fine with it, and that's that.
    People I'm not close to don't care, either. It just is.
    My mother, though, just avoids the topic. We don't talk about it, and when we do, it's a stilted and awkward conversation ending with hurt feelings on both sides. But I expected that, too.
    My sexuality doesn't really come up in random conversations, as in no one ever points out "Lyana is bi." It's just casually acknowledged, just like a straight person's would be when they comment on someone of the opposite sex. I'm also very vocal about my support for the LGBT+ community, and no one ever takes issue with that.

3. Creator

Thank you for your advice, that is really inspirational. I feel way more confident than what I did before, it means a lot. Thank you.

Kind regards,
    Creator.