1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't want to freak her out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bibeauty28, Jun 7, 2015.

1. bibeauty28

bibeauty28 Guest

So, I joined a meetup group. It's a card/board game group (with the majority of it's members all over the age of 50..). My first event will be June 18th. I wrote a post in an event asking what sort of games I can expect to play. A woman I'll call E wrote back. She was very nice, answered my question and welcomed me to the group. I was curious, and after reading her profile I think she may be gay.

She is in her 50's and all I want is to be her friend. What I want to do is somehow mention that I'm queer/bi so that maybe we can form a connection and perhaps she knows of lgbt+ things to do or even knows some lgbt+ people we can hang out with. (I am newly out of the closet and trying to amerce myself in the lgbt+ community.)

I live in a small town east of Orlando. There aren't any lgbt+ groups here that I could find. There isn't even a gay bar in town. :icon_sad: So I'm thinking she can be my in to anything lgbt+ around here... I'm hoping anyway.

Basically, I'm hoping she takes me under her wing and helps me navigate the lgbt+ world for a bit.

How do I come out to her? This meetup on the 18th will be the first time I meet her. I have pretty great gaydar so I imagine I will have a better idea of whether she is gay or not after I meet her and get to know her a bit more. I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable by blurting out that I'm bi or anything though.

Would me coming out (casually, of course) the first time I meet her be too soon or make her think I'm some weirdo? OR should I wait a couple of meetup events (there is a board game event once a month) and hope she turns up to them so I can get to know her better?

If I DO come out to her (whenever that should be) how do I go about it in a casual manner so as to not scare her off?

Thanks for any advice you have. It's much appreciated!