1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting into shape mentally AND physically(?)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by woodlandbats, Jun 7, 2015.

1. woodlandbats

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi all, this is going to be brief because it is 4 in the morning but really need to write this before go to sleep (as with a few others) but still appreciate your time and effort for response, advice or experience sharing so plz plz comment :slight_smile: it will really help me:

I feel like I have to be in good physical fitness before I come out. I want my hair to look good, I want my body to look good? AM I just hindering myself or making excuses? And did anyone else feel like this/ is feeling like this?

2. MarthRoyIke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you're waiting to have the perfect body and look before you come out, you're just making excuses. You'll keep moving the goal posts and never do it. Same if you're waiting for anything else with a "soft" deadline, like when it 'feels' right or when you have 'enough' money or when X person is in the 'perfect' mood.

If you want to workout for self confidence and the health benefits of exercise in general, go ahead. Working out helps me manage my depression and gives me confidence in the dating world. But don't use it as a key to know when to come out. Love yourself as you are right now and don't hide behind a hot body and styled hair.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a similar perspective before I came out. I did start to work out, changed my hair, etc. A few years after having come out, I no longer fuss about my looks; and I am now very comfortable in my own skin.

That said, I still work out regularly, but I do it because I makes me feel healthy and it gives me energy. I am not trying to impress anyone else but myself.