1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to cousins, grandparents ect.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MattyPatty, Dec 7, 2008.

1. MattyPatty

I don't really know how to go about this. Whenever I go to visit, Christmas and a couple weeks in the summer, I always hate having to spend time with my cousins. They say that so gay and what a faggot and all the homophobic slurs that people use in like every other sentence. They're not very intelligent people.. and if I had to compare them to a class of humans it would be hillbillies. They don't know I'm gay, everytime I go there everyone asks me if I've got a girlfriend yet. I just wanna say no, actually I've got a boyfriend or I like PENIS or something along those lines.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to come out to them. I hate hiding it from people and pretending to be straight, and I'm not used to doing that anymore anyways. It's just an act I have to put on twice a year and it makes me hate going back to Ontario even though I'm just going to be spending most of the time with my friends and mom anyways, but I just completely despise going just because I have to see these people.

I've thought about just like, waiting until 10 years from now and showing up at Christmas dinner with a boyfriend but that wouldn't be fair to either side. Anyone know a good way of coming out to people like this? Cause I have no idea.

2. george678

Letter I think or email.

3. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Well it depends how close you are to them, if your really close then i would say a letter or email like georgie suggested but if your not really that close and you really wanna tell them, then just send em a text saying "yo i'm a fagger" at least thats how i would go about it

4. george678

Well yer maybe text or a phone call would be better.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would tell the family blabber mouth and let him/her take care of it. :grin: Surely you've got one!

6. george678

Good answer!
    :grin:

7. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

yea forget my answer that ways boss

8. JCal

Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree totally
    That's actually what I plan on doing.
    I only want to personally tell my Mom, Sisters, and a close cousin of mine who is like a Brother to me [since i don't have any real brothers lol]

But yeah, after I tell them i plan on going to my cousin with the biggest mouth [who i already have in mind] and I can promise you the whole family will know before the next night. lol

9. MattyPatty

Lol, thanks guys xD I'll probably end up doing that. Maybe for summer time :slight_smile:

10. Mestiz0

You could also just try feeling them out, seeing how they really feel. When they make one of the "faggot" remarks, just say something like..."I don't like that word...one of my good friends is gay" or something like that, so that it doesn't involve you directly. And see what they have to respond to that. Then perhaps if it's a positive response, come out to them right then!

Best of luck though! Keep us updated :thumbsup:

11. Gumtree

You could perhaps try asking your parents to talk to their side of the family - they wouldn't have to directly say you're gay but could just request your cousins be a bit more sensitive - that would raise a lot of question though.

12. Mestiz0

I just want to stress that it should be SAID to someone. Either by you or someone that wants to help you with this situation. I only say this because the way some of my cousins found out was no good...

They took me out to a club once and bought drinks...next thing I know, they are staring at me wide eyed while I make out with a guy I had met that night :eek:

I felt so bad because I am not one to just hook up like that...and they had to find out that way. They did become accepting of it though and understood that I have my own preferences. The oldest of the two brothers even tried finding guys for me to talk to :slight_smile: He would just point out guys and say "I bet he is gay, you should talk to him" haha.