1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost outed myself to my dad by keeping a browser window open.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GwenTheWelshGal, Jun 8, 2015.

1. GwenTheWelshGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My dad came into my room to tell me to look out the window to see if there was anything weird out there, which turned out to be part of a rainbow. As he turned around, I realised I left my tumblr open (I will not divulge my tumblr username), so I had to hide it from him to avoid outing myself to him as a transgender girl. Because I'm not ready to come out yet and because I'm scared to.

I had to stand directly between his eyes and my laptop screen to avoid outing myself my mistake.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The EC tab has almost outed me numerous times :lol: Now, especially with my uncle living with us for awhile, I only go on EC on my iPod :slight_smile:

3. Foz

Foz Guest

Been there, done that! I made a thread of my encounter - here. It's just a case of being careful, but it's easier said than done :lol:

4. Lyana

Must have been scary! It sucks that you have to be careful.

My browser (Chrome) has outed me several times, I'm sure, since EC shows up in the "most visited" pages whenever you open a new tab in Chrome, and I let friends use my computer when they stay over. But I do remember suddenly closing all tabs whenever my brother walked into my room, when I lived with my parents, and yeah, that sucked.

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That happens to me a lot! Recently, I've stopped clearing history, so there's a lot of EC, gay youtubers, and other stuff on there. My dad checked out my computer once and I freaked. Luckily, He didn't go on chrom

6. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Why I only use incognito outside of wikipedia and google searches.

7. GwenTheWelshGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Fortunately for me, my and my dad each have our own laptops.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, before I was out to my parents there were some times I would suddenly click to a random page when they walked into the room. :lol:

Actually, sometimes I still do that, but for different reasons... (My dad freaks out if I'm on a website he doesn't recognize.)

9. Flatulentius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was there all the time when I lived with my parents. Now that I have my own house, I rarely use incognito mode, except for ... well, let's not go there. I did leave a ... personal stimulation accessory ... that would rarely be used by straight men ... sitting out in the bathroom because I was lazy and, not expecting any visitors, hadn't put it up yet. Totally without warning, my mom dropped something by the house while I was out (she has a code to my electronic lock to care for my dog when I'm out of town), and it took me forever to settle down and quit worrying about whether she'd taken a detour from business to take care of business and potentially happened upon my ... item. :eek:

10. Creator

I'm happy I dont have these issues. My laptop is facing away from the door and the screen is completely hidden. However I'm always being walked in on whilst on this site and quickly rush to close the tab haha. I think my parents are getting suspicious hehe.

Kind regards,
    Creator.

11. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone does know that there is a pulldown menu at the bottom of this window which lets you read a thread WITHOUT THE EC LOGO, right? Select "Default style without logo" from the menu to lose the large visible title header at the top. At least this way someone can't casually see what you are reading from across the room.

12. bibeauty28

bibeauty28 Guest

I used to come across this problem all the time before I was out to everyone. I never let anyone use my phone or laptop. They were always password protected.

I remember my mom wanted to join Tumblr and wanted me to help her set it up. She asked what my name was on Tumblr so she could see what I was sharing. It was an innocent request And she didn't ask so that she could keep tabs on me or anything. Anyhow, I quickly changed the subject and told her I had to go run an errand and would help her set it up some other time. Thankfully she forgot all about it and never brought it up again. PHEW! THAT would have been awkward! :eek: