1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I start the conversation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Knave, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Knave

I'm finally ready to come out to my dad but I have no idea how to start the conversation. So I was wondering if any of you had any ideas on how to open the conversation and prepare him for what I have to say. Or if you know any good ways to slide it into a conversation while still giving him an opportunity to ask any questions that he has. :help:

2. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Knave,

One way that I have tried to kind of drum up, some kind of conversation is to use subliminal messaging by wearing a t-shirt or something that has an LGBT quote or something of that nature, if that doesn't work. Ask questions that could be on television, or if there is anyone your dad knows that's (let's just say) of a different sexual oriention (It doesn't have to be somebody who's gay, because everything is under the same umbrella). If you are still stuck, I would say go to an LGBT Group or a Gay/Straight Alliance for more information. If you feel that you can be honest with him, say it. Because he is your dad and if you feel that you have support, if anything goes wrong. Then, you are prepared for all outcomes. I'm sure that will not happen. I hope this helps?

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Dad, I want to talk to you about something. I am 19 years old and supposed to be feeling attracted to girls, but honestly, I am not. Most of the people I want to hang out and spend time with are other guys. I feel more comfortable with them, and really want them to like me and want to spend time with me, and care about me. Its not that I dislike girls, I have girls who are my friends, but I don't want to date them, or make out with them like some of the other guys seem to want to do. Maybe I am going to end up being bisexual, or maybe I will end up being gay; I don't know right now; I just know that I am not simply straight like most of the other guys, and I want you to know that, because I don't want to have to lie to you and pretend to be someone I am not. I also may want to find some other people who feel like I do to hang out with, and I don't want this to be an awkward surprise to you if it happens, or for you to treat them differently because they care about me. I love you; this is not your fault, or my fault, or moms fault that I have come out this way, it is just what happened. I hope you can understand and accept it, because it is who I am and I want you to love me as I really am, not as someone we all thought I would turn out to be."

4. bibeauty28

bibeauty28 Guest

Hi Knave,

To be honest, the truth is there are an infinite amount of ways you can start the convo. You can try to keep it light and say something like, "You know dad, I was reading up on current events of a community I belong to.. It's a great place! It's the LGBT community. So yeah, I'm bi/pan." And go from there.

Or if you think it's a time to be serious and deep you can say something like, "Dad, I want to share something with you. I'm Bi/pan. (Explain what that means if need be.) I wanted to share this with you because I don't want to keep any secrets from you anymore. And I feel the need to live an open and honest life...." And go from there.

The good news is, there is no wrong way to tell him. So long as you are kind and respectful of his feelings as well as your own.

Good luck, Knave! We are here for you! (&&&)