1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better to come out before chrismas or after?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MouseofShadows, Dec 7, 2008.

1. MouseofShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hate all this emotional stuff with parents (which i feel might happen) so I was wondering if i should come out before and deal with it or tell them once i go back to school so the most i have to deal with is awkward conversation? (keep in mind that i doubt they'd kick me out or yell at me or anything)

2. whitefang

Idk...
    I'm half in and Half out

3. EM68

I am going through something similar. I really want to come out to my family. It's killing me holding this from them. As it is, this year there is a lot of stuff going on with my family so I do not want to add anymore drama during the holidays. In the end, I decided to tell my family after the holidays. I want to be able work with them on this without the stress of the holidays. I even have a coming out letter that I plan to give to them. Good luck.

4. ColdSnap

I think when you accept it yourself, then you'll just kinda 'know' in your heart when it's right to tell them, it varies from person to person and circumstance to circumstance i guess

5. Apocalypte

Similar here, though I think my hand may be forced in the matter. I'm Facebook-out, and my sister has decided to start using her previous joke profile (which I'd added as a friend) properly, which will of course mean she'll have seen my profile. Right now, I'm just waiting for her to say *something* to my mother. Then again, at this stage I'm thinking it's about the worst-kept secret in the world at home.

6. MouseofShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been sitting the last 2.5hrs trying to push the send button to tell my friend...but nothing has happened yet.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. EM68

You may want to just save the email, step away from the computer for a bit and when you are up to it then send it.

8. Superhuman

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well this is a troubling circumstance...From my point of view, you should do it on the Holiday, while the whole family is around. I believe by doing this, there will be no rumors within the family and constant questions from the relatives you don't see everyday. Something may happen one day to where you won't be able to tell a loved one about the real you, who you are. They might never know because they are no longer living, in state, within contact, etc. And having the worried feelings throughout the Holidays may cause you to not enjoy them as much, and you'll have to put on a fake happy facade. By telling your family on a Holiday, it'll prove who has unconditional love for you, and how much they want you in their life. Good luck:slight_smile:

9. Mind Freak

I think I would wait until after.
    So that way you don't scar your Christmas if it goes sour. : )

10. MouseofShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    meh...took the plunge already...i did it all at once (friends, parents, online status...) thanx for your advice anyway...

11. EM68

Congrats! How did it go?

12. MouseofShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    not much...everyone so far has accepted it (2 ppl)...my friend didn't care she at first thought i was debating weather to come outside and she responded by saying it's pretty cold. and my mom was just glad i wasn't keeping secrets and is just concerned about my hapiness...

13. xequar

No.

Hijacking a holiday to come out is a very bad idea, and it's not fair to everyone else there or yourself. Although it seems like it would be convenient, it will cause far more problems than you'd think and it will likely ruin the evening, even if the people there would otherwise be accepting.

If you have to wait until the holiday, try to at least tell people in private, like if they're going to warm up the car before they leave or something. Don't be that person that takes the stage and drops a bombshell on everyone though. People who would normally be accepting would probably not appreciate such a manner of presentation and would think of it as extremely rude. I would.

14. pinksoccer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I kind of have the same dilemma -- I'm planning on coming out to my siblings a few days after Christmas (see my other post). That way it will be after our celebrations and when we have a lot of relatives over, but still when I am at home on my break. I think it's the best solution for me -- to come out during the holiday break but after the big celebration days. That way it won't be a distraction or a big thing for my siblings to process when everyone else is around.