1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a letter/email

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Erzulie, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Erzulie

Is it wrong to come out by writing a letter or email? I feel like it should be in person, but for me it just feels a lot easier to write a letter. Actually sending it is going to be really hard, but it feels like I'm taking the easy way out if I just send a letter because I still want to see/hear the reaction. I'm just scared it's not going to be something positive.

I'm about to send a letter to my best friend since childhood. I'm about 80% sure that she'll be accepting. I really hope she doesn't think I'm attracted to her. I'm about 60% sure she won't think that. Our friendship means a lot to me, and I don't know if I can handle losing her as a friend.

2. shootingstar

shootingstar Guest

There's no right or wrong way to come out. A letter/email can be really useful for saying everything you want to say.

I hope your friend supports you but if not that's their problem not yours. Good luck!

3. Creator

There are many ways people come out. If your going to write a letter/email I'd recomend saying everything you want to say and make sure they know your still you.

Kind regards,
    Creator.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A letter is a good way to come out. You just want to write it in your own words, this helps it be more personal. Most likely the person will read this in so your voice, so that will help make it more personal. You should come out in the way that you are most comfortable with.

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It isn't wrong to come out that way! In fact, I personally think it's better.
    In letters or email, you can think, edit, and rationally put down your feelings on paper, while its harder in person because it's more likely to be scary and to mess up and not be able to think clearly in that embarrasse state. At least, that's what I think.
    You should go for it!
    Maybe for a more personal effect, you could hand write a letter?
    There's no right or wrong way to come out, do it the way you're more comfortable!
    Good luck~

6. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, not wrong at all. You are the one who's been struggling with this for some time, not the people you're coming out to. And you are the one who's going to be most affected by this. That means that you get to decide how to come out, the people you're coming out to don't, and if they whine about how you come out, they're being rude, inconsiderate, selfish, and are completely missing the point.

7. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a beautiful shot film called A Kiss in the Snow where a boy comes out to his friend in the form of a letter. I think you can view the whole thing on You Tube. Whether it is better to write a letter or go face-to-face depends on you and the circumstances involved. There is no "right" way to come out that fits all circumstances. I do believe coming out should always be an expression of love, so keep that perspective in mind regardless of the mechanisms involved. Some people may feel betrayed that you kept a secret from them so consider that possibility as well when making your decision. Good luck to you, this is an important step in your growth as a person. I wish you the best of outcomes.

8. newyearproblem

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I do not think it is wrong to come out to someone by letter or any type of writing. Some people prefer in person and some people prefer other ways. I hope your friend will be understanding.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone