1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's been awhile...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Absol, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So the last person that I came out to was my brother around Christmas, Christmas 2013. "Whoa, that's basically a year and half ago, what gives?" You may ask and well, it's pretty much because my family and I had a really bad year. I don't really want to go into the details, but let's just say it was the 2nd worse year of my life. So, because we were just dealing with a lot of stuff at the time, I didn't want to put another thing on everyone's mind, so I kept quit about it ever since.

Now that things have finally settled down, I want to finish coming out to my sister, my parents, and then everyone else. Unfortunately, it seems I've lost the confidence that I gained by coming out to the few people I did, so it feels like I'm starting all over again. It also doesn't help that I don't really have anyone to talk to about me being gay. I hardly ever see the friends I told and my brother...I don't know, it feels awkward just thinking about talking to him about it. He's cool with me being gay and all, but I don't know, it just feels weird...anyway...

I wanted to be out by the time the supreme court makes it's ruling on gay marriage, but I don't know if I'll make that deadline. I want to come out to my sister before my parents mostly because she should of been the first person I told, and that she would be supportive and back me up when I come out to my parents. Problem is (this alludes to confidence thing), I can't gather up the courage to tell her, which is really dumb since I know she'll be supportive and all. I think it's just my self-esteem, it was pretty bad before, but that last year pretty much killed it. So yeah, I don't know...

Also, would it be alright if I tell her via text? Yeah it's kind of lame, not as personnel, and it's not the way I really want to tell her, but I think it would be the most comfortable way for me to do it. I don't see her that often, and the times I've tried to tell her before in person, I sort of chicken out.

That's pretty much it. Thank you for reading and for your help in advance, I greatly appreciated it. :slight_smile: Sorry for the rambling, I think I just needed to jot my thoughts down for a change, it's been awhile since I've done it.

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to come out to your sister "in text", there is nothing wrong with that. I would suggest that the "text" be an email or snail mail letter thought out about what you want to say in advance and in detail, not a TEXT MESSAGE on the phone. "Queer here, dear; details at 11" is not the way to express the emotions you are no doubt feeling about telling her, so a bit more depth in the original, and giving her time to think about it, instead of making her feel she has to immediately hit the Reply button on the IPhone with her first impression, would probably work better for both of you. You can mention that your brother knows, but not your parents, so if she wants to talk to him about you it is OK, but leave it to you to tell the old folks. etc.

3. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    (Sorry about not getting back sooner, I wasn't able to get on)

Okay, well the reason why I wanted to come out via text is because I kind of wanted to nonchalantly do it. I don't know, I'm not really an emotional person and hate getting all touchy feely, but if you feel like a text is way too impersonal, I can think of something else...

Oh I also forgot to mention that I think she already thinks I'm gay. During multiple conversation, she has set me up to come out, but I had always chicken out.