1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PhoenixOfAshes, Jun 11, 2015.

1. PhoenixOfAshes

I don't know if this is supposed to go in this forum, but oh well.

I'm not out to anyone about being Trans, but I use my taken name for everything, and if someone asks I normally just say either that I like it, so I use it, or I say that it's my given name and that my parents liked it. But a friend of mine who I'm not very close to asked about my name. She said "Isn't that a guy's name?" And I said "technically yeah" and she said "but you look like a chick...." and I don't want to tell her because I know that she's the kind of person to tell other people, but I also want to tell her because it bugs me when people I say I look like a girl and gah! Please help! I haven't responded to her yet and I don't know what to say! :tears: :help:

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a dilemma for you. Telling her would unburden you in one respect, but if she is the sort of person who might gossip it could place a whole new burden on your shoulders and leave you feeling much worse.

Just something that occurred to me when I read this:
    Notice how I bolded the word like? It might just be the way I read it, but when she said you look like a chick, it's almost as though she might questioning the fact. If she had said you are, there would be no doubt, but she didn't do that. What do you think about that?

3. Armin

I'm going to agree with the post above with regard to how she's replied to you. If that was the exact way the girl had spoken, then it's incontrovertible she's dubious as to what your identity is. Also, if you want her to kind of get what you're feeling, maybe you can try dropping subtle, humorous responses about it? Perceive how she's going to react so you know the action to be done afterwards.