1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom's making me insane

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nugget, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Nugget

Well, partially, she is, but I'm not sure where the stress is coming from in the first place.

I wake up, 10:30 PM, sick, tired, and pissed off for waking up too early. I go out to get something to drink so I can go back to bed in peace when I find my mom sleeping on the couch—again. So I use a little bell, hoping I can get her up without much trouble.

So she wakes up and I tell her to go to bed. She just nods at me and lights another cigarette. "But I was watching a movie," she says. Yeah, was watching. The problem is, she gets herself a little tipsy, then plops down on the couch and stays there until I get her up. Simply asking her won't do it; I've tried, she ignores me. The last time she did that when I couldn't tell her to go to bed, she went to bed at 3:30 AM. She works overnights and always has to be up and busy by the morning, so I see no reason for her to stay up this late. But she never listens to me and just decideds to fall asleep on the couch (which isn't the best couch for sleeping on, by the way). So she barks back and I bark back and I spend my "morning" yelling at her while she starts making no sense to me. Worst thing is, she almost completely forgets the whole thing ever happened, so I'm the one stuck remembering it all and having to remind her about what happened the week before!

I'm so sick of this. I shouldn't be stressed out, though. I don't work like she does, but yet I'm so sick and whigged out by everything. I've been trying my damnest to get to sleep at night but I can't get it to work, I even stay up 'til almost 4:00 PM and I always end up waking at around 10:30 PM. And now I have to deal with my mother, who can't even recall the times where she has to get me up to go to school, so doesn't understand the amount of stress I shouldn't have to undertake to get her going. So then I try to go to bed and all I can do is cry from fighting with my mom.

But I shouldn't be stressed. I have no reason to be, so now I feel guilty for going through this with her because I have to reason to be uptight. But everything's so out of place, I feel so insane and I just want to die.

I'm sorry, I'm just venting. I really don't go to her for venting anymore, for obvious reasons.

2. Miles D

Hmm... maybe when she's sober and fully aware let her know what a pain she's being. (In a nice way, of course!)

And also, why is it your responsibility to get her awake and make sure she's on time to her job? I mean, it's sweet and awesome you're taking the initiative, but she should learn how much you're helping her some day. Let her sleep in, be late to work and face the repercussions. Then maybe she'll snap out of it?

:grin:

good luck!!

3. Jim1454

I'm kind of wondering the same thing....

Why do you feel it's necessary for you to tell your mom to go to bed? She's a grown up. If she wants to sleep on the couch, let her. If she develops a sore back, it's her problem. Worry about yourself, not your mom.

Is this perhaps your way of saying that your mom has a drinking problem? The answer is still the same - worry about yourself, not your mom. But there are specific things you can do, as the child of an alcoholic. There are support groups out there that might help you understand what's going on in your life and why you react the way you do to your mom.

There are also groups out there to help your mom - obviously AA - if she has a problem. However, she needs to take herself. You nagging her isn't going to do anything. If she needs help, "her own enlightened self-interest must tell her this".

Good luck.

If so, the