1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm probably the millionth poster on this subject...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by username41489, Jun 13, 2015.

1. username41489

Hi all,

i posted on here a few months ago when i had a crush on a girl (i'm also a woman) in my lab. so since that kind of died down (i say kind of, because i still fantasize about her once in a while), i've been really focusing on school and my career. That's all good, right? Anyways, i recently had the urge to come out to more people, i've only come out to my sister and 3 friends from my home in Orange Couny, CA (which is super conservative) and like 20ish people in Rhode island, all of whom have accepted this and have been SO incredibly supportive!!! So now i'm at a point where i want to just come out to the whole world, but i'm so afraid. i wish i had the courage like so many people on here have shown. This is actually interfering with my ability to work on my thesis and everything, and i just want it to be over and to live my life without lying to myself or others. How can i go about doing so?

Side note: every time i try to capitalize "i" or "b" it doesn't let me, and it becomes italisized or bolded. Does anyone know how to fix that? Sorry, i'm totally new lol.

2. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have found enough positive responses to the people you've come out to, then you don't have a lot to worry about. The people who support you and who treat you well are the people with whom you should spend your time and your thoughts; the people who are asshats are just asshats and can be ignored well enough. If you really want to get it out there fast, Facebook or other social media is a good way to do so. People who care can read it, and people who don't can scroll past it. You can always "bury the lead," so to speak, meaning that you hide your revelation in the middle of the post where only someone who cares will bother to read it. They have the choice as to whether to acknowledge it or not, and you're not lying to anyone. Also, staying in the closet isn't necessarily lying, per se. It's just choosing to keep something private that you don't want others to know.

Hope that helps a bit!

In response to your side-note: make sure that you're hitting the "Shift" key rather than the "Ctrl" key. I've had that problem before where I accidentally hit Ctrl instead of Shift. Ctrl+I or Crtl+B will make things italicized or bold rather than capitalized.