1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to your Crush

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gloomyra, Jun 15, 2015.

1. gloomyra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I tried telling my mom I'm bisexual and she just kind of... Dismissed it and said I was confused. She said something along the lines of "just pick one, not both".

Since then I've been feeling really self conscious about my attraction towards other women. I don't have anyone I feel comfortable telling, and I'm afraid I'll get a negative reaction. I have one friend I thought about telling, who's very understanding. I normally tell him everything, even when I told him I went to a furry convention once he just laughed, where most people go "say what?!". He's also my crush though and I don't want him to think I'm only interested in women. I guess I just want him to like me for who I am.

Should I tell him? How should I do it?

2. KingJude

Just say you're bisexual :slight_smile: If he's understanding, he'll understand! I'm guessing he's not aware he's your crush? I wouldn't tell him. I came out to the guy I like a few weeks back, didn't say he was my crush and he took it great. I think if you let him know he's your crush at the same time it could damage your friendship. One thing at a time, I think! :slight_smile:

He sounds like the ideal kind of guy to come out to as well! I get having nobody to talk to, and since coming out to most of my friends it's made me much more confident in my sexuality and accepting of it. If you don't know how to do it, to make sure he realises you are also attracted to guys, then I'd advise a letter. I used a letter to come out to my best friend, to make him confident that I am not attracted to him, as I felt that talking to him I might not have been able to make a clear, concise description of it all. Alternatively, if you feel confident you'll be able to get your point across, just tell him! :slight_smile:

3. gloomyra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks! I wasn't planning on telling him he's my crush, at least not now. I just wanted someone to talk to about being bi and I thought he'd be understanding, but I also didn't want him to think "oh, she's a lesbian" if he has any interest in me, and I think he might.

I think I want to tell him in person, I'll just have to be sure to make it clear that I'm bi, not gay. We both prefer speaking in person, so I think it will make it easier for both of us! Hopefully it will strengthen our friendship. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice!

4. Pumpion

I'm going through a similar thing to you, but I think it's just a matter of having to just tell them. If he accepts it, great! If not, then I don't think he's worth your time. Do you know each other well? If not, perhaps get to know him a bit better before telling them, see what his opinion on the LGBTQ community is, get to know if he's homo/bi/trans/anythingphobic or not, and whether or not it would be safe for you to come out to him.

5. gloomyra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He's told me before he can't stand homophobic people, so I think it's safe to tell him. He even asked me once, but I got nervous because I'd never come out to anyone before, and I tried to steer the subject away. So he might already know. It's just my own anxiety keeping me from telling him.

I came out to my dad yesterday, and he took it so well I'm feeling more confident. I think I'll tell my friend/crush next time we hang out. I'm sure he'll be supportive.

He does have a phobia, but it's of insects. Haha :slight_smile:

6. Pumpion

(( This is probably a while coming but meh ))
    Cool beans, he'll probably support you then. The first person is always the hardest, I haven't come out to my parents yet, the first person I came out to was one of my best friends who I knew would support me because, I mean, she has two mums so... But it still didn't make it any less scary.
    He might know, but even if he does, if he hasn't been treating you any differently then I think you're safe. Keep posted :slight_smile: