1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Roommate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cynder, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Cynder

So I am taking with my college roommate. I wasn't originally planning on telling her or anyone, I was just going to not hide it and be myself. But at orientation there was a play type thing about someone coming out as gay, and when my group discussed it afterward, many people said they would want to know right away. So, should I/how do I tell my roommate that I am bisexual? (currently presenting as female and wont be coming out as trans, at least not now.)

BTW, the campus is somewhat conservative, and does not have many resources/many openly LGBT students, so that might have an effect.

2. HikaruStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you could try find an LGBT group somewhere on campus or near by. There are loads of fun ways to come out. I found this website: LGBT Laughs

Good luck!

3. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that you should tell her, and sooner rather than later. If she has a problem with it, then I think you can get a different roommate. If she is fine with it, then you can stop worrying about it. I think that it would be best to tell her in person, if possible. It is hard to judge what people are really thinking over email or chat because you can't see their face or posture. She might say yes just to be polite, but really be pretty homophobic and feel uncomfortable.

4. Cynder

The main issue is that we are only texting, but I don't know if it is best to wait until I see her in person because that won't be until school starts....

5. vamonos

Text her.

6. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then in my opinion texting her beforehand would be the best option.

7. matiasz94

matiasz94 Guest

It seems early enough that you would be able to get a new roommate if she seems to have a problem. It's better of you nip this in the butt now than be stuck in an uncomfortable situation for a whole semester.

8. Caleb93

My first year of college, I told my roommate about halfway through the year. He was completely cool with it.

Last year I transferred schools and on the housing application for this school there was a question about whether or not you would be ok with having a gay roommate. I checked yes, so I got paired with another guy who said yes. He wasn't gay but he didn't care at all that I was. He moved out halfway through the year for other reasons.

When they assigned me a new roommate, they didn't pay any attention to the question about sexual orientation, so I ended up with a guy who had previously had a gay roommate and had an issue with it. I decided it was best to tell him the truth so I wouldn't have to deal with the issue with him down the road. He was kind of a dick about it but I'm glad I didn't get stuck living with him for a semester.

This year my friend and I decided to share an apartment off campus. I wasn't out to him (or so I thought) so I decided I better tell him in case it would be an issue. When I told him I was gay he said he basically already knew and obviously was ok with it since he had already agreed to room with me even though he knew about my sexual orientation.

All that to say don't sweat things too much, but it's probably a good idea to tell your roommate up front. The worst that can happen is she doesn't want to room with you anymore, but it's a lot better than dealing with the same problem halfway through the school year.