1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Summer Camp Friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Laetus, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Laetus

Laetus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok, so I am going to summer camp soon and it will be my fifth year there and I have friends there who I have known for multiple years and I want to come out to them. Everyone there is really nice, open, and there are even a few of my friends there are openly gay/lesbian (at least at camp), so I have no worries about whether they'd be accepting or not. My main concern is that last year they asked if I was a lesbian and I said "no" because I didn't know then I was a lesbian and I had a lot of doubts about whether I was or not. A year later though I have realized and have 100% accepted that I am a lesbian. So I'm wondering that if I come out to them this year how they would react. Would they think I'm lying? That I just "want" to be a lesbian because a good chunk of people at the camp are gay? Or would they be fine with it and my predicament.

2. sappho06

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My friends at summer camp know that I'm gay and are cool with it. If your friends there are open-minded and some are gay too, I really doubt that they'll think it's for the attention or whatever. And even if last year you said you were straight, I'm sure most of them will understand that you hadn't quite firgured it out yet or were in denial. Don't worry about it too much, I'm sure it'll be okay. :slight_smile:
    Enjoy the holidays :slight_smile:

3. vamonos

I came out to some friends on an Internet forum and they teased and bullied me constantly. They accused me of pretending to be gay. I couldn't stand the bullying anymore and left the forum.

4. Silver Sparrow

If your friends are queer, they are likely to be accepting of your realizing your sexuality later. Similar things have happened to me in similar environments, and my friends were all super cool. Everyone's process is different, and there is no right or wrong time to realize who you are.

5. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of people wonder why LGBT. After all each of the four groups are different and on the surface don't seem to have a lot in common. But there is one VERY big thing the all do have in common and it's the reason they join forces - to establish the right to self determination. So feel free to come out this year without hesitation, regardless of how you defined yourself before. It's not only the very definition of what we fought so had to achieve, it is your right.