1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not having a goal and all..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by skydrone, Dec 10, 2008.

1. skydrone

skydrone Guest

hey, im really confused right now and depressed about what's happening to my life. I mean, im 17 and im studying on my 1st year of college but i dropped. The reason is, whenever i thought about my future, i never seems to have any. (Btw, i studied on an academy by the course marine engineering and we are separated from our families for a long time until we graduated.) it's kind of hard to explain, but is it possible that i dont have any goals/dreams? you know, i always thought that i have no reason of living at all. Right now my parents are going crazy for doing that and my parents just can't understand. Our family is not that close to each other because both my parents are working and us their children were not that close and were still all studying. We rarely had some family bonding and everytime with do it felt awkward coz we never usually do those kind of things. Right now, im always alone in the house, having my room as my own world and don't really care if i lived there forever. I'm not a loner, actually i have many friends (and we love each other so much) but I always prefer being by myself. Oh, and i can someone suggest some course i can take because right now im really really confused. Thanks all :confused:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>it's kind of hard to explain, but is it possible that i dont have any goals/dreams?

Totally possible. Or, more likely, you just aren't sure which of many many options you want to pursue. You might think "This might be fun" or "Maybe I'd be good at that", but there's no one course that really seems like "the one".

So what should you do? Two things.

1. Get employed. Any job is fine. You'll both earn some money, and start building up a resume. Any employment is going to look better than no employment.

2. Start investigating. Pick something you might want to get into, and do some research. Let's say you think maybe you'd make a good teacher. Start looking at libraries and online. What education would you need for that? What are the hallmarks of a good teacher? See if there are teachers (at whatever level you're interested in) that will sit down and discuss their careers with you. Maybe a few will be willing to let you "sit in" on class for a day or two, so you can watch what they do, and how they do it.

And after all that, you might decide "I don't think I want to be a teacher". Cool. Cross it off the list, think of something else you might want to do, and start again. You haven't "wasted your time". You now know teaching isn't right for you - you've learned something valuable. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. xequar

I would recommend you consider taking some time to figure out your personality strengths and weaknesses. There are a lot of tests available online, a couple of decent ones for free and the better ones for a bit of money, to help you catalogue and determine your personality traits, preferences in relation to interactions with people, work environments, et cetera. Some of them will be based off of MTBI personality typing, but ultimately, they'll help you get a handle on what sort of things you like and don't like.

From there, you can take those insights and information to eliminate some options and find some other good possibilities. For example, I am not at all detail-oriented. I'm a people-person that likes to communicate, I think very big-picture, and I need constantly changing conditions or I will get bored and "burn-out" very quickly. Knowing that, I know to avoid careers with a lot of repetition and detail, i.e. I should never be a pharmacist or an accountant. (For those who are curious, my MTBI type is ENFP). Conversely, my chosen field, television, is a great fit because of the creative elements, interaction with people, and project oriented nature.

I would absolutely argue that you have a purpose, and that there is some field out there that would fit your blend of skills, personality traits, and other strengths. But, if you don't know what those strengths are, you'll spin in circles trying to figure it out. Good luck!

#3 xequar, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  4. Jim1454

I'm not sure many people have their life planned out at age 17. And those that do have it figured out likely get it wrong.

I have my life all planned out at 17... university for business, job in business, get married, buy house, have kids...

It all worked out exactly as planned, except I was gay!!! So at the age of 35, it all came crashing down and fell apart.

So don't be in such a hurry to figure things out. In another year it might become much clearer. Good luck!

5. xequar

Although he doesn't need to have his entire life mapped out, it can't hurt him to have some direction and some ideas as to who he is and what he wants to do. Given that he's 17, he's going to be hitting college/university soon, and if he can do it right on the first try, that'll at the very least save him a pile of money.

But, Jim makes a good point. No one can figure out all the answers in a day. Think about it a bit, but don't obsess. Remember, life's a journey. No need to rush to the end.

6. mnmpython

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    everyone knows how it goes...Senior year of high school and everyone you know is jumping all over your case about what you are gonna go to coolege for. It can be pressuring if you don't know. I was pressured into going to college and I didn't know what the hell I wanted to do. I dropped out of culinary school after 3 months. I got a job moved out of my parents house and have been working odd jobs for about 4 years now. It's taken me that long to finally figure out what i want to do. At age 23 I now have a goal. Anyway my point is, It's ok to not have a goal in life, give it time and do what you want, floating around on your own for awhile will probly inspire you or hey you may even meet the love of your life on the way and settle down. Make your own path and go to school when you are ready and comfortable. But also, if you are planning on going back to school, don't get in too deep (i.e buying a brand new car) so when that time comes you don'r have many obstacles in the way of your goal

7. Adrian

Adrian Guest

I agree with Lex that getting any job is good. Not only will it help your CV but if you hate it you'll know that's not an area for you, and if you like it you can start looking for other things that have the same features.

Apparently it's quite easy to look at career paths and quickly go "no, I could never do that", and most career guides and things try to encourage you to stop doing that, and to look at things as realistic options even if it'd take quite a lot of work to get there.

8. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah thats what I kinda did, I did I.T failed then just took a gap year out and my parents werent happy, then i took art then dropped out because I knew it was wasting my time since I was just going to pass days by, now I got my self a job and it helps, its not the job i want for long term but, at least Im earning money and thinking bout my future at the same time. What are your interests???

9. TheRoof

hey everything's possible if u believe in it!
    so whatever ur dream is(or was) just hold onto it
    and u'll find urself on the right track

10. skydrone

skydrone Guest

maybe a job is impossible right now coz my parents does'nt agree with that and here in our country getting a job (im 17 and underage) is impossible. I should be at east 18 and have a good reason to go for a job. (they are very strict at hirimg underage students.) Well at least for now my parents kinda accepted it. And my dad (w/c is the most affected) starts to calm down a bit. I just don't want to make another mistake and fail my parents for the second time. well, anyway thanks for your advices.

11. friendsvme

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well
    1st of all, can you tell me what is the result of the highest level of examination you have taken? For example the result of your A-Level exam? Or maybe other results of examinations in your country that are equivalent?Are you a science stream or commerce student?

Well if you are really not sure where you're going or what you want to do or what profession you want to pursue, you can always try finding a course that matches with your results.
    For example, maybe the grade of your chemistry and physics are the highest among your subjects, you can always try pursuing courses such as engineering, if your biology has a high grade,try courses such as physiotherapy, if you are a commerce student, and have a very good grade in account, well accounting will be a great choice, or maybe your mathematics has always been your best subject? Maybe pursuing something like quantity surveying?

After you have found out what subjects you are good at, try to find information about courses that are related to the subjects. Google the courses, give yourself a chance to know the course, once you know the course try to build up your enthusiasm towards the course.

Meanwhile, like what the other members have told you, try finding a job. It's not necessary to find a job with a high pay, maybe helping out in a clothing store? Or maybe a a waiter in a fast food restaurant? Or maybe tutoring junior students? The main thing is to try to make yourself more active.
    Or maybe voluntary works? Like helping out in a hospital? Or joining the red-crescent society?

Try to find out what interest you most in the process!Maybe after a couple of visit to the hospital you realize you wanna be a doctor/nurse? Maybe after working at the clothing store you found out you're interested in designing? Or maybe after working at a fast-food restaurant you found out management is your passion? or maybe tutoring other students made you realize being a teacher is your true calling? Who knows?

Hope this helps you!!

#11 friendsvme, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008