1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kaotyc, Jun 18, 2015.

1. kaotyc

So I made a new FB account...and I have my gender as bigender. And then I added my mom. She hasn't said anything about it yet. And she knows about non-binary genders because of a conversation we had last week in which I explained what they were and she thought it was "interesting."

But I'm so terrified because this is a huge step for me. What do I do if she asks me about it? Like, how do I explain how I feel?

2. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you're going to post on FB to come out, set your privacy settings to private so ONLY your FB friends will see your posts (trust me, there are some pretty mean people out there). Good Luck!

3. guitar

I would wait until you're out to some people in real life as bigender before making a public announcement like that.

4. kaotyc

I did make EVERYTHING private. Only friends can see my gender. And I didn't write a post on it. My gender is set as bigender. But all my stuff is private unless I add someone.

I meant that I added my mom on FB, knowing that she would see my gender. I literally only have 2 friends on it right now (my mom and my best friend). So it's not like I'm broadcasting it all over social media.

My mom did research about it for an hour then called me and was like "why didn't you tell me sooner?" And she was REALLY accepting of it.

5. MarthRoyIke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad your Mom was accepting!

For future reference, Facebook has this annoying habit of randomly changing their privacy settings and showing your "hidden" posts to random people. I've been burned by that enough times that I stopped posting sensitive things on Facebook, unless I don't mind people knowing.

I advise against using Facebook to "announce" things unless you really don't care who knows, so that you don't get burned now or in the future having someone read something they weren't supposed to. If you're out to your Mom and best friend, just consider that new account an "out" account; consider yourself out to anyone you add. So much less stressful.

6. CalluxRising

Wow good for you then, it seems to me that your mom is open minded.

I've thought of coming out on Facebook like posting a status telling everyone of my gayness but opposed it later on, realising I have yet to stop scowling every five seconds while browsing through my newsfeed. As of now, I'm settled with just being honest with regards to my preference rather than broadcasting it on that social media site. That's whenever people ask, if not, then okay, all of me is screaming lesbian anyway.

For people in denial like some of my narrow-minded rellies and acquaintances still convincing me this might just be a phase, I've been sharing LGBTQ stuff now such as videos from the gay women channel on Youtube, sketches of my girl crushes and actually capping them as "my crushes," and the likes in hopes of getting my message across. I don't know, I just feel like homosexuality has become a trend now and shouting it out might just make me look like I'm bandwagoning even when I've been gay since I was a baby.

7. kaotyc

Just to clarify, I didn't post "i'm bigender!" On my actual FB. I created a new account under my nickname (which is a unisex name) and my STEPDAD'S last name. Then I posted my gender as bigender and I set my gender so ONLY people I add can see it.

An old HS friend found it and contacted me. I added him. He thinks it's awesome that I'm bigender and is currently setting me up with this guy we both chilled with who is bisexual and still has a thing for me.