1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regretting the Way You Came Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by underdogangel, Jun 20, 2015.

1. underdogangel

My coming out was one of fear and hurt. Growing up with a bible thumper for a father and an open minded mother in small town America was hard. I quickly grew to resent the very things I was raised to believe ib, the religion I had clinched to when it began to be used against me.

My father and I constantly butted heads, I was scared. Scared of who I was and scared I would not have approval. One night at about midnight my father, my sisters, and I were watching a movie. It had been my night to choose and I had chosen a movie with a gay couple in it. From the second you found out that the couple was in love my father had nothing but negative and hurtful things to say. In a fit of rage I opened my big mouth (like I seem to do whenever I'm upset), and blurted out that I had a crush on a girl from school. That went about as well as you would expect. Bible verses were thrown at me and I quickly ushered my siblings into bed. That's my job... to make sure they're okay. As soon as they were laid down I told my dad I was leaving and not to expect me home to do anything other than check on my sisters until he could learn to respect me. Violence became involved and I just wish I could redo it. Be able to explain in a way that he would understand. Half of my siblings are okay with it the others are in the same boat as my father. Bitter and close minded but I could never stay mad at them. I simply needed to get this story of my chest and ask...

Does anyone else wish they could redo how they came out?.:help::eusa_doh:

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I was stupid and forgetful once and it led to me making a mistake that outed me to my mom, so I definitely regret it. I feel like I messed up my coming out, and now she doesn't really understand. Now it's become this thing we never talk about, I feel too awkward to bring it up because it'll upset her. I can't help but feel like I ruined it, I should've not messed up, and just written a more well thought out letter explaining everything. Plus, since I wasn't ready, I was so scared of upsetting her that I said a lot of things just because I thought it would soften the blow, so coming out didn't even help me that much because I misrepresented myself, and nothing's really changed for me like I wanted it to.