1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out via text/Is it a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thete, Jun 21, 2015.

1. thete

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to come out as gay to my best friend, but the only way that I can think of being able to talk about it is through text. I know that sounds bad, and I'm not exactly afraid of how he might react (he's trans himself and very gay friendly), but I have a difficult time taking about my sexuality in general. We've known each other for our entire lives and I really want to talk about this with him but I don't know how to start the conversation.

What is the best way to approach the topic? Have you ever come out via text? Did you regret not telling them in person? Thanks.

2. Sarii

I came out to my best friends over text. I said something like "I have something important to tell you... I'm gay" and it turned out fine. If you two really are good friends then it shouldn't really matter how you come out.

3. thete

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, I really appreciate it Sarii. I just need to get the courage to actually do it, haha.

4. choirsmash

I came out to a large group of friends in a group message on Facebook (mostly due to location plus it's easier to get to all of them at once that way haha). It was a group I spent a week with on a retreat sort of thing, so we were all really close and I figured they had a right to know. It went well for me. I also came out to another friend via Facebook message (he came out as bi, but still questioning like a year before..I think he's figured out he's gay but I could be wrong there haha) and that went really well too. It was much easier for me. I came out in person for my very first time and it was incredibly difficult and emotional. Do whatever feels right to you, I'm sure it'll go great. Good luck!