1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out eventually

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shevanel, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Shevanel

Ok well I've been thinking a lot and I've had some emotional nights in recent days (cept last night, last night was good) and I just think my life would be a whole lot easier if I was out to everyone. I dont know why, it'd be like a weight off my shoulders i guess. But at the same time i want to tell, I don't. these conflicting thoughts are really confusing. I'd also like to tell my parents at some point, preferably when I know i'm heading in a more "gay" direction (I'm bi or something that leaves me open to both sexes i think). I think my parents might be accepting, I just don't want them to look at me differently which I think they will. I'd do it on facebook but I got some family on facebook :/ even then... i feel like all my straight friends id hang out with would get weirded out which i totally understand. I think im just gonna hold out for a while.

2. s5m1

What you are experiencing now is perfectly normal and is the process that most of us go through when making this decision. When is the right time varies for each person. If you are not sure yet, there is no rush. I think we all have the same fears about how our family and friends will react. I am tryng to make the same decision right now and understand when you say it would be a weight off your shoulders.

3. RaRa

Only you can know when to fully come out, everyone does it at there own pace.

You actually made much more progress then me. (20 friends, nice!)

Only one concern though, if you're financially tied to your parents like I am, you might wanna hold with telling them, just incase. I think everyone is concerned with what there friends might think when they're out, I know I am. :frowning2:

Good luck to you though. :slight_smile:

4. Shevanel

yeah, all that definitely makes sense. I also feel like being out suddenly obstructs me from any girls at all. which is not what I want at all. ugh this is all so difficult!

5. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

hey surfer do it in your own pace at your own time, i came out to myself as bi at 21 about 4 months ago, 2 months ago i decided i was gay and recently i've come out to my best friend, my sister and a few other important people. Just don't rush yourself until you're really ready for it, i know i couldn't come out during college because of my own personal feelings and the homophobia i was surrounded around, ( my college was really homophobic) but now i'm happier then ever being myself. this process takes alot of time for some or is short for others. Hope I helped in some way.

6. Shevanel

no you totally helped dude, thanks all of u. Oh well, we'll just have to see what happens in the future. i'm having doubts about what "sexuality" i am or if i even fit in any "class" at all. I like to say i'm just Joe, and thats it.

7. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

Just gotta see what you want in each sex. I know for myself and I'm going to sound really mean right now, I see myself in a relationship with a guy and I see women as disposable pleasures.

8. Shevanel

I honestly don't even know anymore... i fall for people too easily and too fast ... which isn't always a bad thing. idk, i'll figure it out eventually i guess.

9. Mickey

I agree with the other posters. Do this at your own pace. I think nearly everyone
    goes through the "should I/shouldn't I" phase. After you accept yourself,it's only
    natural to want to let others know. You'll know when it's the right time.
    IMO,coming out is a kind of life long process because you'll always meet new
    people and have to come out over & over.

10. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

hmm. sounds like me lol. Honestly though dude, eventually you will learn might take you a few more months or a few more years, just gotta do what makes you happy man :slight_smile:

11. Shevanel

yeppers, figuring out what makes you happy is the hard part i guess but i also guess thats what takes awhile which is cool, life's an adventure right? i like adventures :grin:

12. Pendrin2020

I'm in the process too. You'd be amazed at how open minded some people can be. Personally I'm just waiting for it to become somewhat relevant and necessary in a conversation. mention it offhand and don't make an announcement out of it. Treat it like it's not important and they will too... most times. Just be selective with who knows. It's the same thing with my alcoholism too, so I never really have a problem waiting.

Get a support group, it helps. to have people who know in person and are willing to talk about our kind of stuff. Some straight people just aren't comfortable with that.

13. slipperyman

You actually made much more progress then me. (20 friends, nice!)

Only one concern though, if you're financially tied to your parents like I am, you might wanna hold with telling them, just incase. I think everyone is concerned with what there friends might think when they're out, I know I am. :frowning2:[/QUOTE]
    Dude I couldn't have said it any better. I mean especially about the parents. I a senior in high school, so yeah financially, I'm screwed. So that why I waiting till I get to college, then I gonna send them a letter, so as to not get decimated in the after math. But as your friends, I know it can be hard, which is why I haven't told any of my close friends. So but no matter what u just need to be yourself.
    When life gives you lemons, throw 'em back and demand oranges!

14. TheRoof

i can definitely relate that with you
    i feel the same way
    i just don't want people to see me differently
    becuz i'm the same person, except i'm gay, that's
    the only difference.
    and yet i fear that if i come out, people are gonna
    start shunning me or make hateful comments for being gay...