1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just a very quick question about laws in school about gays

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SeanR, Dec 11, 2008.

1. SeanR

SeanR Guest

in my thread before, I never got an answer to an important question. as the title in the last thread would distract others from this question, I decided to make this thread.

basically, is there any sort of law that prevents school staff (who know I'm gay) from telling anyone I'm gay?
    it's been bugging me for ages :S

2. Dazed

Dazed Guest

i dont know about england but in the US there are no laws that stop teachers from telling.

3. I'm not sure... It definitely depends on whether you're talking about teachers telling your parents or anyone else. I don't think you can stop them from telling your parents (I could be wrong) but if they tell someone else, it could be considered harrassment or slander or the like.

4. SeanR

SeanR Guest

I'm mainly concerned about students and anyone in a college I'm going to. my parents will be told by the time I'm in college :slight_smile:

5. Gumtree

I believe that confidentiality laws extend to all humans, but they have limits and conditions.

There is nothing that can stop your teachers having the right to tell your parent/guardian anything about you.

For certain things such as self harm, instability etc that wouldn't be considered crimes but unhealthy, all public servants are law bound to tell the authorities.

As for sexuality, I would assume that you can definately request that it remains secret, but the staff will always reserve the right to tell higher ranking staff, school counsellors etc and your parents.