1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know how I should have reacted to this comment

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Mind Freak

I was talking to my friend (white guy) and some how we got on the topic of suing people and he was like "I may as well not even sue a black guy its not like they have much money anyway except for their drug deals" I was pissed that he said that.

But I just let it go because I had a good day and I'm not trying to get into any kind of altercation over a stupid comment; especially when I know that we're not broke and that my parents make their money morally.

He jokes around with insults a lot but I couldn't tell if he was serious. So I would like to hear suggestions about how to handle situations like this in the future.

Suggestions?

2. Trumpetplyer23

My advice is that you tell him that you don't appreciate it when he makes racist comments. He may be joking, but it's not really all that funny. It's rude and obnoxious, quite frankly.

However, don't bite his head off. Just say, "you know, the jokes are kinda funny, but I find them offensive, could you please not do that around me? Thanks." If you do it politely, than he has no real reason to get mad at you. You made a simple request in a polite, nice manner.

3. Adrian

Adrian Guest

You could just ask him outright whether he's joking or not next time he says something like that. If he is joking, then he'll probably be quite worried that people don't know when he's joking or being serious about things like that and he'll most likely tone it down.

4. Greggers

Just slip him a:

"Hey dude, thats not cool. Seriously. Racism is not sexy."

Be firm, commanding, and sound serious. Dont go about it all "jokey" or "subtle hints" about it, cause that wont stop him or teach him anything. He will respect you for making your opinions heard and strong. Honesty, if he dosnt then hes not someone you want as a friend eh?

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I like that answer! (!)

6. Greggers

thank you becky :grin:

Ive been having to do this with all my friends, ones who dont know im gay, when they call someone a "fag". I started of just dropping subtle "well, thats over the top maybe" or things like that, but all that happened was they would call me a "fag" then. But when i put on my game face, raised my voice one level, and told them "That is plain just not cool. That word has baggage attached to it that you dont want to touch, so cut it out." they laughed it off (to seem cool still) but stopped after, with a "gentle" reminder anytime they try it again.

7. Sarah

i agree with Loveislove ^^^^^^ just tell him how it makes u feel. but dont b rude. dont laugh after u say it. just b serious. but not angery or rude

8. Red87

I usually don't let comments like that bother me. Its just the person who makes the comment seem ignorant. Leave it at that. I'm not a fan of racist or sexist or even sexual orientation comments, but I've found, at least in my personal experiences, people seem to take offense when you confront them about their offensive comments, and end up thinking less of you. Maybe they're not that good of a friend to begin with?