1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I just let go of my gay side? Is there a way to get over it...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by loveislove01, Jun 23, 2015.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know, I thought I'd come out to myself, and I'd been so happy. People in general where I live are mostly LGBT+ positive... But my parents are against it. I'm sick of some of the comments they made.
    Recently, I've been questioning myself even more and I think I'm a lesbian, or homoflexible.
    I sometimes regret telling my girlfriend I love her, I feel bad for kissing her. Because part of me apparently hasn't accepted it, I feel like I'm doing wrong. I'm the least religious person ever, so it's not because of that.
    Around my girlfriend, around friends I'm out to, it feels so natural and comfortable. But around my family, especially when they make comments like that, I regret choosing to be with my girlfriend. I have nothing wrong with her, she's so amazing and I do really love her, and she feels the same in return. I just can't accept that I'm with a girl. I'm pretty sure if I had a boyfriend, I wouldn't be feeling the same way.
    I am just scared for my future if I'm actually gay. I don't know what to do.
    I've said some pretty mean things to my girlfriend and tried to break up with her, because of my internalized honophobia. She's forgiven me, for the most part... I will talk to her today about it.
    I don't even know why I'm posting this. I just needed to rant I guess.
    I'm pretty sure I'm paneomantic, so, is it possible to just be straight, since I'm kind of into guys as well?
    But I don't want to be straight...part of me does, I just don't know!!
    And I'd end up breaking my girlfriends heart, and mine, if I decided to "go straight"

I just fear my family will disown me, or never talk to me again if I am gay. I do love my family, even though I hate them at times. But their comments are so intolerant, I don't know if I could live with that.

I feel like my views would've been more accepting if my family was accepting...but they're not, and part of me wants to suppress my gayness.

I fear in the future...what'll happen if I marry a woman, if I'm in a long term relationship with another woman...
    They just won't talk to me. Ever.
    I don't know what to say...what should I do?
    Should I just become straight? Or accept...this...
    I'm scared of my future..

It's just my family and myself that kinda holds me back. I don't know if I'll ever come out. I don't want to lose them. I'm also partially in fear, because it's kinda hard to hide my relationship. I hope they dot find out. If they do, it won't go wel...

I'm aware that people are in much, much worse situations than I am. I feel so bad for complaining...
    Its been bothering me for a while though...
    I don't know, I'm sorry.
    If someone took the time to read this, thank you.

2. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! First of all, I probably can't answer most of your questions. All I can say is that only you know who you are. If you feel that you are a certain sexual orientation, than you are. Don't let ANYONE tell you different because they are wrong. And I think I can speak for practically anyone here: The closet is a terrible and sometimes lonely place. But sometimes, even though it sucks, its not best to come out. I'm not sure if I should to my parents. I might get the courage to tell my mom today. But whatever you feel is right, is probably the correct answer. Also, I think that even though it's hard, (and even if you are in the closet), NEVER stop embracing who you are.

#2 The Purple One3, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is a hug for you~! (*hug*)

I don't think it's a good idea to "let go of your gay side". That's an important part of you, and it's more important to stay true to yourself than to sacrifice parts of you because of what other people think, or because of what they make you feel.

Part of accepting yourself is letting go of outside things that inhibit or stop you from acceptance. Instead of thinking about what others say, you need to learn to focus on your own happiness. People can be cruel to others, but it's no good to be cruel to yourself; you should love yourself no matter what. If you can do that, it will become easier to deal with other people's opinions of you.

So to me it seems that it's because of your family that you want to be straight. If you had an accepting family, you would be able to accept yourself without a second thought. That being the case, you should probably be dealing with the family problem rather than wishing you were straight or feeling wrong or guilty for loving your girlfriend. You can't help who you are inside, and if other people don't like you because of it, that's their problem. It's better to face that problem than to evade it. Chances are, it's gonna come up eventually, and at that point you'll have to be ready to tell your family even when you know it's gonna be bad. If you're worried about being disowned, you may wish to wait until you move out, for your own safety. The main thing is that you have to face who you are no matter what!

More hugs for good luck~! (*hug*)

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I am blunt a bit too often. But don't live a lie, honey. I did for more than 10 years, and I'm 19, and it nearly killed me, literally. Near-death experiences, nothing could snap me out of it. If you do yourself and those who care about you one favor today, do this: just don't lie to yourself about who you are.

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everybody, your responses did make me feel better.
    I guess I knew I'd have to accept it eventually.
    Being in the closet is really hard, though. And you're right, it's because of my parents that I kind of wish I was straight...and I'd also probably have a hard time living five or more years without coming out though..
    You're all right, living a lie and not being able to love yourself makes life so hard. I shouldn't care about what others think...:slight_smile:
    I wish it was easy to accept myself : /
    Thanks, I just needed to get that out. Everybody's so nice here~(&&&)

#5 loveislove01, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  6. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just know people are always willing to accept you here!

7. Posthuman666

NO. I denied who I was for almost my entire life and it almost killed me as well.

In my opinion, if your family doesn't accept you for who you are, then why does it matter? If your family, which you love, doesn't accept you, then maybe the best route would be a strategically planned "fuck it". Really, if they can't accept that your different than them, that you are who you are, then they aren't worth lying to. People lie to protect the ones they love, but if they can't get over the fact that you are a strong, beautiful independent woman, then it doesn't matter.

Repressing your feelings only makes things worse

PS- Sorry I was late to they conversation.....

*hug*

8. queenofcows

You really should just come out if you truly know you are into girls. If you are still unsure then you should keep thinking about it because if there is a possibility you could be kicked out then it's best to be pretty sure of yourself. I'm not saying you can't ever change but make sure you are sure of yourself before you come out. When you are ready you really should just tell them. They will hopefully understand since you are their own child. I have a feeling due to the situation they wouldn't disown you. I think that the'll be a little shocked at first but it's worth trying to come out. If they question it then just try to tell them everything. If you really do like girls as well as guys then don't identify as straight. You will regret never telling anyone. I kind of understand what you feel as I was in denial of my sexuality so I'd pretend to have crushes on guys and for a long time I thought I was straight or bisexual. I realized I've been lying to myself this whole time and that I really do love girls more then anyone else. As the person above me said it isn't good to repress your feelings. Nothing would be worse then having to grow up pretending to be straight when you really want to explore your sexuality. You'd have to hide everything. Unless your parents are really strict Christians who constantly hate on gay people all the time I would go for it. Maybe have some articles about your sexuality ready for if you tell them. It might help them understand better. I wish you luck if you decide to come out! (*hug*)