1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with coming out to same sex friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BiKate, Jun 25, 2015.

1. BiKate

Any advice about coming out as gay/lesbian/bi to same sex friends?
    I only have three close friends, and then a few others that I see very occasionally with my close friends, and I know all the others wouldn't care what the hell I like or who I was into, as long as I can still have fun with them.
    So out of my 3 close friends, two identify as bi (I think they mainly like males, but are interested in sex with females). One knows I was questioning whether I was bi or not a few months ago, she won't care either way. The other bi friend I haven't told, but we have talked about what kind of girls we both are into, and I think she's always assumed I like girls. Actually a lot of people in highschool always though I was into girls, long before I even realized I was into them :lol:

The third friend though, who I'm closest to, has no clue. I know she supports the lgbt movement, and she's even excited to go to a pride festival with a few other people at the end of the year. But she is straight and well, she can get a bit weirded out easily. I'm cuddly with my friends, so we're always snuggling in bed and watching movies. Sometimes we jokingly hit on each other and well I'm always all over her, but she's like a little sister to me, I've never been attracted to her, or most of my other friends.
    I'm worried she might think I actually was hitting on her for real, or thought more was going on when we've snuggled. I just want her to treat me the same as she always has, but I also want to be able to share all of my feelings with my closest friend. I don't want her to no longer want to hug me or spend long nights laying in bed talking, just because I'm into girls. Because like I said, I'm not into her like that at all.
    I don't know if I should text it, say it in person, start of slow by saying I THINK I might be bi or just coming straight out and saying it. She'd technically be the first person for me to come out too as bisexual.

Do you guys have any advice on coming out to same sex friends? Or friends in general really, but I think when it's the same sex friends, there's a risk they'll think you want to be with them...
    Any stories about coming out to your same sex friends?

2. EttyT

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I came out to all my girlfriends months before I told any family. They've been my best friends for almost 12 years! They knew I had had a relationship with one of my girl-friends when we were at school, but that was 7/8 years ago and I was acting 'straight' ever since.
    I don't cuddle in bed with them but we do all hug and spend time together.
    They were all unbelievably cool and supportive - to be honest they were so happy that I'd found someone - saying it was about time! (I didn't just come out, I told them I have a girlfriend!)
    They were amazing and if your friends are all lgbt supportive then Chances are you won't have any issues!
    All the best! Take your time, if your straight friend is weird with it, then she doesn't truly know you.

3. BiKate

That's so good! Thank you. I think she'll be supportive but probably surprised. Did you tell them all in person?

4. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my best friend I believe last week and like you, I was terrified. While I knew that she wasn't homophobic and was supportive of gay rights, I also knew that girls on girls actions/ kissing grossed her out so I was afraid of losing and have her think that I had been into her that whole time when obviously not. I 'casually' told her via facebook but I had dropped hints for quite some times so was hopefully that she would have a clue and wouldn't be too surprised (she for example knew that I had done stuff with girls in the past I kind of think she still thought I was straight) and she didn't flinch at all, she was totally fine with it. But because I had told her on FB ( we don't live in the same city) I was still scared that she would act weird around and I saw her last night and things were exactly the same, she kept hugging me, grabbing my hand and basically doing everything we casually did, we even slept in the same bed ( like we had done many time before) and it wasn't even remotely awkward. I did tell her that I was amazed that she had reacted so well and glad that she didn't make things awkward to which she retorted " Was I supposed to ? " hahahah I then explained to her that some girl feel threatened by bi-sexual girls or lesbians as they think they are into them and I told her that I was scared she would think I had been into her and stuff (especially cause I always tell her she is good looking and stuff and she really is) and would start analysing my every moves to turn it into 'clues' or '
    'proofs' to which she replied " Is that weird that it didn't even cross my mind ? " and just started laughing. And that right there is why I love this chick. She is so laid back and I feel so stupid now to have thought for one second that she would reject me for this.

Your friend is obviously not homophobic so I think you'll be fine, if she is smart enough she'll knows that being bi doesn't make you crush on every single girl. I really hope your coming out to her goes as well as mine !

Cheers :slight_smile: x

5. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

I told the boy I like today that I was trans and like other boys I'm sorry if that don't count

6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's pretty much what happened to me with my girlfriend right now : 3
    If she doubts, do make it clear you aren't into her and you think of her as your sister. Having a girlfriend made it easier because they knew I'm only into her, and not them...
    It could be possible she'll feel awkward, but if you openly tell her you're not attracted to her, she should most likely be good with it! Good luck coming out. It's really an awesome feeling to have